Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux NIS client to Solaris server issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

InigoMontoya

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
I'm about ready to pull my hair out! I have a SUsE 9.2 on an AMD Opteron w2100z. It's the first machine in its subnet that will be a NIS Client to a Sun NIS master on another subnet. I am able to bind to the domain. ypwhich returns the right server but when i do any ypcat command i receive no such map in server's domain.

I found a posting by another admin online that resolved the issue by adding the new subnet to the /var/yp/securenets file and doing a ypstop/ypstart.

I modified the file as recommended and restart NIS but the issue remains. I still get the same message with ypcat. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do next? I'm out of ideas. Thanks.

-ryan

bfitzmai,

yup...it's there. it was one of the first things i did. That site is pretty good.

Since Linux is basically BSD Unix, NIS across subnets may not be available. Solaris made the change with Solaris 8.

I really would try snoop to see if your NIS server is actually acknowledging the NIS request. If there are problems, you should see error messages. You can also run a ypstop and ypstart to track your binding with the NIS server.

There is also a file yp.conf that supposedly you can enter the name of the NIS server to bypass ypbind and the broadcasting that is done during the NIS process. Never used it...

Well...I've pulled out the last of my hair so...I changed it's IP and put it within the same subnet as the NIS master server. Everything works like a charm.

You're probably right bfitzmai.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help.

-ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back