Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpibb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2002
US
I have a Red Hat 8.0 computer running as a Windows PDC w/ Samba. Everything is working flawlessly. However, now I need to connect a couple of Linux workstations to the same shares used by Samba. Since I already have them shared through Samba, should I just use SMB Client to connect from the Linux machines? Or should I use some other method such as NFS? I have never networked Linux to Linux, only Windows to Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since you already have a Samba server setup, I would suggest that you use that for the Linux clients too. //Daniel

You can't use Samba for Linux to Linux. Samba is only used for Linux to Windows (and vice versa). Use NFS for *nix clients. Just add the shares that you want to the /etc/exports file.

ChrisP

"You can't use Samba for Linux to Linux."
I guess you mean that you shouldn't or something like that, as I use it in my network just to make life easier (I have two dual-boot boxes). It works fine too. //Daniel

I was able to get smb to connect just fine. There are some other issues that I'm not up to speed on, though. I tried to use smbmount when logged in as eldon (that's me) and it wouldn't let me, so I did an su then it let me do it. However, then all the files were read-only to me (eldon), and said they were owned by root, even though from the windows boxes they are accessable by me (and any other user on the domain, for that matter). If I remember right, the command I used (after su) was:

smbmount //clyde/public /svrshares/public -o username=eldon/eldonsplace%ttssyf

Are there any quick suggestions on how to make so I can get read/write access to this public share. Does it matter who owns the /svrshares/public folder before I mount to it? Also, what script do I put this in so it's mounted automatically on boot?

I guess I need to read up a bit more on this, but if you have any quick suggestions, fire away.

Thanks

Fluid,
That's an understandable idea, but not true in this case as daniel pointed out. You are right in suggesting that you don't want to do things that way probably.

mrpibb,
Just as in any remote access to a file system the underlying
permissions(or lack of) are going to be the final word on
what you are able to use.
There are two layers to the access system:
smb.conf with user based or share based access , and
then the underlying file permissions.

If I mounted:
mount -t smbfs ////192.168.1.45//myshare /mnt/samba
and the access permissions for the remote fs , or the
permissions for /mnt/samba are wrong I will run into
problems like you describe, but in this case I believe it is your local mount point that is the problem.
Without more details it is hard to be sure.

In response to the posted url.
Respectfully or not so respectfully:
I suggest that this guy is not correct.

He is diminishing the accomplishment of the samba team
and the granularity of access control afforded by both
the samba daemon/emulated user controls and the linux FS.

He is suggesting using NFS(broken BTW in many instances,
including the recent RPC overflows) which is just as
shitty.

Far better to learn to use CODA but how many
EU are going to do that?

I suggest this without impugning your motives. You are correct in my way of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back