Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LINUX is Obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.
because it's open source, does Intel have to publish their source code?

Dik

Mike: I see that you are a proponent of Forth... did a bunch of programming using it a few decades ago... it was elegant in it's simplicity and use of stack architecture when processors were kind of 'clunky'... I wasn't aware of anything that was faster.

Dik

Modern C compilers can produce binaries that are faster than FORTH generated binaries.
... whether the binaries will do what you expect,
and >not< do something you didn't expect,
is a different matter.

They might be able to... I don't know... but, when I was writing some large BASIC programs (over 1 meg in source code) I used BASIC (PDS 7.2, I think) because it used the Microsoft Fortran math library which was significantly faster than the MS C math library. Also used to write assembly sub-routines and functions that were a lot faster for matrix stuff than APL (they were far more specific and didn't have the 'bells and whistles that I didn't need anyway).

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back