Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterfs

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
I am new to Linux and trying to install and become familiar with it. I am having the following issue trying to install the os after downloading from Red Hat. System boots properly and media check appears to run ok but when it asks for where the local media is (I select local CD-ROM) the sys install tells me that a Red Hat Linux CD cannot be found. I find this interesting since it boots Linux from this same CD-ROM. Anyone have any idea's or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

oh no... you can use it for any file. Dude, I'm writing the disk right now using it. I'm using win2000 though so that might be the discrepancy.. but I imagine this could work under XP also since it's essentially NT. Stupid question: did you put both ntrw.exe and bootdisk.img in the same folder? Anyways I'ma go home now and try my XP box see if I get your error.

This is exactly the reason i usually go and buy the boxes : so i don't have to fiddle with all the "burn the iso images" issue. And, i get a sweet deadtree manial, which is always nice.

Faroon,

OK, I have now come to believe that I am not supposed to learn or install Linux. Efforts to copy files using XP and/or 2000 from the CD to disk are met with the same incorrect parameter error. Makes me suspect more that the CD-rom or the ISO file is bad. re-downloaded yesterday on that suspicion. still searching for the md5sum and how to verify that the iso download is good. any suggestions.

Frederick

Hunter.

Appart from the support and/or included packages , there is no difference between buying the personnal version of a Linux distro and the professionnal. If you wish to learn linux, you may want to do so with a paper manual,because those are always full of interesting information.

So think about the possibility of getting a suse/mandrake/redhat/$foodistro box for 65$. You would be supporting open source software by doing it too.

Just my 2 cents. But if my broke-student-ass could find enough money for it then, i'm sure you could find it within yourself to save yourself from a night out to buy this box and save yourself the hassles, right?

--Dave

Ok, the bootdisk.img i burned was a separate file I got from a redhat ftp site. You might want to try that. Make sure you supply the absolute path to the file when using ntrw. I am at home now, using my XP, and I'm writing the file to a floppy. Nothing happened, no error. My guess would be bad cdrom. Other than that I can't say anything for sure now cause mine worked perfectly just doing what you did.

Dave,

thanks for your thoughts...the whole point of this excercise was for the benefit of learning...i would differ with you on the student part...I am currenlty an un-employed IT worker and have been out of work for over a year, with bills to pay and a family to support. i would like to believe that $65 is not a lot of money but right know it is. the consulting gig that I currently have is just barely covering the severely trimmed back expenses. So anything at the moment that can be linked with FREE is a good thing.

hunter...aka frederick

Faroon,

OK, starting from scratch today and already I think i have isolated the problem. Yesterday did find a copy of md5sum and ran it agains my iso files. none of the codes matched. Figured I had a problem with the ftp download, ctp client was configured with ascii a transfer, changed to binary and redownload new disc1 image this morning. of course you know where this is going, right? Hash values matched and I will be downloading the other two images this weekend and re-attempt the install on Monday. As Homer Simpson would say "DOINK"!

thanks for all of your help,

Good stuff man.

A warning, linux ain't nothing like windows, but if you the kind that doesn't mind that fact that you will have to dig in and wrangle the guts of the system with a text editor, you will dig, trust me.

A word about Linux. I experiment with it from time to time and find the time to be extremely rewarding.

While it can seem frustrating at times, I usually find that I have made some kind of error, such as you have made.

PLEASE keep up the effort. I think that you will find your efforts to be rewarded. If an old IT sales guy can run this stuff, I am sure you can. Good Luck!

Hehe good job figuring that out dude. I always forget to switch to binary mode on my ftp client too, and could never retrace back to that step. Luckily I almost always use http download so I never had much trouble. Tell me how the install goes man.

Faroon,

Just wanted to update you.

Got all of the images and just finished the first Linux installation. I think Bill Gates ought to be worried, like the slick install and hassle free installation (I choose a workstation install to begin with, will be doing the other installs in the near future). Just starting to play with the system and already like it. I have a W2K box at home and am building a Novell 6x box to network and practice for my CNE upgrade cert. Plan on incorporating Linux into the mix very soon.

Thanks again for all of your patience and advice, look forward to talking with you again.

Frederick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back