Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux in a 2003 Server Domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dberg35

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2006
US
I am looking for a verison of Linux that will be user friendly and that will join to the domain...any suggestions?

Ubuntu is a very user-friendly distribution.
You may download it for free and even receive installation- and live-CDs free (but that might dure to long).

A smb-client is available and should be sufficient to join a 2003-domain, but I never had a windows-domain to make experiences in that field.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I have used Ubuntu at home from a live cd and love it, so looks like I can make this work for my users...Thanks!!

looks good Ken, but trying to find something free or less costly.

Mandrake, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Knoppix, SuSe...They all seem to work fine in my shop.

Mark

I've joined a 2003 domain with SUSE 10.1, no problem.

Just ensure that you use the fully qualified domain name (like microsoft.com) instead of the NetBIOS domain name when you enter the domain name.

Make sure you have DNS properly set up.

Also, when you're prompted to enter credentials for an account with rights to add the machine to the domain, do NOT use the domain\username syntax. Just enter your domain username (like bobw) for the username; it will infer the domain name from the domain you are joining.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back