Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux for sound professional/enthusiast

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
I'm currently reviewing sound cards and speaker setups to be installed in my new machine. I will be getting into a lot of music recording/editing as well as gaming and music. Another input is that I love the high quality sound I am able to hear in winXP. Any comments or leads to information will be highly appreciated.

That said, my questions are as follows:

1. What company has the best reputation for drivers in linux?
2. Are there any manufacturers that provide linux drivers for high end sound cards?
3. What software for linux will allow sound editing/recording/manipulating, and what technologies are available in linux (ie - eax, etc...)
4. Sorry for such a lame question, but what is currently the best sound card for linux and what high end card has promising future results for the OS?

TIA

- Rusty

TIA

- Rusty

- Rusty

From what I've seen
Q1&2 None.

Q3. Audacity seems to be quite promissing at the moment although still rough around the edges.

Q4. All & None since all card have just basic functionality as the manufacturers are not yet interested in Linux. Although this may change by the year 2004. Just hold your breath.

I've had success with Sound Blaster and cards with the SB compatibility, although I don't always get full functionality. I use RedHat, and you do have to run sndconfig to get it to work right.

I haven't had much luck with laptop sound cards of any sort.

I use Brahms and NoteEdit, but I'm a composer, not a sound editor. These programs are mostly for writing your own music.

There is a good bit of software for editing sound files, but you really have to look, and you're going to have to be willing to find all the dependancies as well. Good Luck.

Iolair MacWalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back