Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux for Professional Audio Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcspine

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2008
US
How about it? Is there anything great out there that's close to the level of Sonar Producers Edition?
I'm sick of Microsoft's tactics and want to move away from it.

JAD - JackLab Audio Desktop (opensuse 10.2 with the kernel tweaked for real-time).

This distro includes adour (like in the article mentioned by thedaver) and many more apps for audio and video production.

IRudeBoy, thank you. Your suggestion lead to finding something more suited to my arch, 64-bit.
I'm now using 64Studio and can kiss Windows Vista goodbye as soon as I back up everything important.

I can tell already that it's going to work well. It's built form the ground up for music production and has the possibility of a 5ms latency, which I'm sure is much better than any bloated MS Product.

Hi tcspine,

Have a look here, it's for audio and video:

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://ubuntustudio.org/[/URL]

Although I still use WinXP, because the DAW I use is SAWStudio ( and haven't found anything better.

Good Luck
DrD

Yeah, DrD123, there is nothing like SAWStudio but ardour2 is very functional and it doesn't require M$ which is the way I like it.

If I did music production professionally I'd have SAW too (on Windows 2000, maybe XP). I do some remixes at home on my turns and can't afford a big production rig. All my stuff goes on my iPod and I use a Jack-ed opensuse 10.2 box (AMD64-3000, 4GB, .5TB storage) with SB Live! for hardware. Haven't had any problems so far.

I've tried 64studio before but I don't get along well with gnome(s) which is why I like opensuse 10.2. I can get the same packages as 64studio but I can use KDE (actually fluxbox with KDE apps) and 64-bit builds.

Have Fun!

64Studio is up and running and completely functional. I've
got my Firepod working after 'much ado' (phew, installing linux programs and drivers can be tough, even with synaptic).

The JACK interface is great, and infinitely easier to configure than Sonar PE was, in fact, I have a feeling Sonar makes things difficult on purpose to garner 'support and education' money. But then again, I feel that way about a lot of closed source software.

Here's yet another program for Linux where I can get extremely powerful granular control over the systems, as it lets me send signals wherever I choose, with the GUI interface that is JACK, it makes it easy after you know how to do it.

Then I come to Ardour2. It's more intuitive than anything else I've ever used. Why can't a $1000 program be this easy to use?

I'm very pleased with 64Studio, Freebob, JACK, and ardour2. Thanks for the link to ubuntustudio. I have another harddrive that I can try that on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back