Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Filesystems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejmilne

Technical User
Apr 23, 2003
GB
Hello,
I'm new to Linux and have just had a Red Hat system installed. I know I have 200Gb free space on the disk but I have no idea how to partition it and create filesystems on the partitions. Can anyone help?!
Emma

Your Redhat installer should have offered a default partitioning scheme for you and should have - by default - taken all the available free space.

If this is not the case, you should begin learning about fdisk and Redhat's disk druid.

CAUTION! You can make painful, large mistakes with fdisk VERY EASILY.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

It was pre-installed and I didnt choose to partition any of it, so I guess all the free space must have been allocated.....is it just a case of creating directories, or can you create filesystems of a specific size within this freespace?

Soz, I come from an AIX background where it is all MUCH easier!!!
Emma

IBM says: "Thank you" :)

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

fdisk -l /dev/sda (or whatever your device is) qill give you the current partitions. If you have free space you can create another partition using fdisk or diskdruid (as thedaver pointed out) and create the new filesystem to it.

man fdisk
man mkfs
man tune2fs
man mount

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back