Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux e-mail server setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbridge1

Technical User
Mar 4, 2009
GB
Hi

I'm hoping to get an e-mail server up and running to test its functionality, and allow me to evaluate it’s suitability for our office, and compatibility with existing kit. At the same time I don’t want to disturb our current e-mail setup, so need to find a way to allow me to test the new system in isolation.

To give you a little background - we are currently running windows PCs / laptops, in a workgroup environment connecting to the internet via a BT Hub. E-mail is hosted by a third party that we retrieve via Outlook when connected to the Internet.

Given the cost of Windows Servers, we are investigating a Server based on a Linux DOM.

2 questions.

Is this idea feasible, and can anybody suggest how I can test this new Linux Server without effecting our current e-mail setup?

What do I need to do / put in place or setup?

Thanks

Fbridge1

You say that ESX and ESXi are embedded, where VMware Server runs on top of an existing OS.

I assume this means the server is pre-installed in a VMware virtual host which can be installed and run on most operating systems (Windows). If so, this would save a bit of time, and work well for me.

It’s good to know about the lack off Spam.

I think your right – the best way to find out about this is to install and have a play around.

The bit about the other NICs (vth0 vth1) – given the physical hardware, how can these virtual Ethernet devices be connected to the real world?

When setting up the VM you have choices of hardware and the for the NIC you can choose to either have it NAT, Bridge, or Host (this based on the actual hardware that you have running on). NAT will do what it says, but how I have them set up is by Bridge mode, that way they can have its own IP address on the network so other devices can see them. OS's are capable of handling virtual NIC's but I think their may be a limit as to how many they can manipulate, I am not sure what this limit is though (over 8 for sure). vmware.com would have more documentation about this. When thinking about a VM you really do have to think about it being a regular server, they act like a regular server and you treat them like a regular server in almost every way. It is kind of hard at first to think of them this way :)

I assume this means the server is pre-installed in a VMware virtual host which can be installed and run on most operating systems (Windows). If so, this would save a bit of time, and work well for me.

I am not sure what exactly you mean on this but if you think about how a computer boots up, normally it would be
poweron -> BIOS -> Server OS
ESX and ESXi would boot up
poweron -> BIOS -> ESX(i) -> VM OS's
where as vmware server would boot up
poweron -> BIOS -> host OS -> VMware Server -> VM OS's
like my situation would be
poweron -> BIOS -> Ubuntu Server -> VMware Server -> Server 2003

I am actually looking at going the ESXi route sometime in the next 6 months if I can find a steal on ebay/craigslist, that way I can have ESXi running on a small flash drive and the hard drives in RAID5 for the guest OS's....or maybe a NAS....hmm....

Hope that helps

Thanks for this

The bridge mode seems to be best for an internal setup, although NAT is also good if the system is public facing.

What I mean, and can illustrate using your method of explanation, would be:-

Poweron -> BIOS - > Host OS - > VMware Server - > VM OS’s

I guess the vmware server option is the one that suits me best, as I have a windows host OS.

I assume this means the vmware server does not come with virtual OS’s already installed.

I hope this is not more confusing, but I’m not sure on this point.

I’m interested to see you mention that you can install ESXi on a small flash drive. This must have a very small footprint?

VMware does not have OS's preinstalled but they do have pre-packaged OS's available, they call them 'Virtual Appliances' right on the front page of vmware.com

ESX and ESXi do have a very small footprint indeed

By the way, if you want to tinker around through various things in Linux, one place I found some help (besides here and a couple other forums) is
There are step by step howtos for almost anything in Linux it seems. I can't speak for their accuracy, but the couple I messed with seem pretty good.

Otherwise, I'll just read on in this post to see if I can learn anything while I'm at it. [smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thanks for this - the content looks interesting and well worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back