Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Dsitributions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvoelp

Programmer
Dec 21, 1999
US
Visit site
I think I stated that correctly. Anyway, I am an experienced MSWindows developer, who wants to expand his skills into the Linux developement arena.<br>

<br>

I am just getting stated with this OS and am a little confused by the different flavors and what they imply. <br>

<br>

Basically, will an application developed on say Caldera, run on RedHat? or will I need a seperate installation of the different distributions, and have to debug and test any app I develope in those environments?

An application that's developed on <i>any</i> brand of *nix machine (be it unix, FreeBSD, Red Hat, Caldera, etc) will run on <i>almost</i> any other flavor, so long as you re-compile it on the new machine...otherwise you just never know. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back