Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux dowloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amdboy

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
AU
okay here we have the typical microsoft os user who is pissed of with the lack of security and usability i want to go to linux!!!
now ive downloaded 6 iso image...but am not experianced in burning cd's
the q being if using nero 5 how do i burn these images and how do i load linux from the cd?...
thanx guys

Using nero, look for an "open disk image" or "burn disk image" option....

I imagine the iso image you've got is for a bootable CD, so simply pop the CD in your drive once it's copied and restart (obviously selecting "boot from CD" as your first boot device in BIOS).

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

and be prepared to have far worse security unless and until you know what you're doing!

Linux out of the box/download is wide open and full of serious security holes, far more than any Windows version will ever be.
Only an expert can get it to be more secure than Windows, unless you don't install several core packages (like X, which is one of the worst culprits, and sendmail) which most distributions install by default.

Unless you're such an expert, remain with Windows and do the smart thing: keep it updated by checking the WindowsUpdate and Microsoft security bulletins at least once a week (with Linux you'd have to monitor a far larger group of locations...).

Jwenting ...okay fair call that it may be far more difficult to learn than microshaft but at least you can close loop holes to a far greater degree once known!! i am always checking for sucurity updates thats whats pissed me off in the first place i have sensitive data that i want protected plus i have found using non microsux produx to be alot more srtaightforward...so im making the swich...learning isnt my down fall so unless ms start comeing up with some better products il say &quot;see ya later&quot;

Most Distro's have a Security Setting called Paranoid, when you set up the box, I would suggest that you use that setting.
But it can also bite you in the back when you don't know what your doing

Try installing linux in a safe place first, when you're sure your machine is secure, you can use it on the internet.

Be sure to know what you're installing.
If your not sure ... don't install it

Disable the services you don't need and have a good look at the configuration of your running services on the box.

--

Maurits

~ There is no place like 127.0.0.1 ~

morpheusNl
thanks for your straightforward advice on linux... am actually taking some classes on it now..will take what you said int consideration thank you muchly

Hi all, I'm thinking of setting up a duel boot of XP-pro and linux mandrake 9.1 on the same HD but different partitions. what I want to know is my present hardware compatible with linux? I have a MSI 6340 km133 mobo, Amd duron 850 mhz, Seagate 40GB HD , Sdram pc133 256 Ram, Samung cdrom-dvd Sd 608 and a lite-on CD-rW 48x12x48.

thx in advance

As far as i can see, your Specs should work with linux.
Most of your HW will autodetect..

(Unless you have some really unusual HW in your box)

--

Maurits

~ There is no place like 127.0.0.1 ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back