Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux destops to buy cheap or not? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2002
US
I would like to purchase a new computer with Linux installed on it as a learning tool. I had spoken with someone about this, and they said to buy a cheap computer is putting a limit on myself when I could spend a few hundred dollars extra, and have no limits on the use of the system. I was going to buy the cheap one because after all I just want to learn the Operating system. Will I be putting limits on myself by buying a model that cost a little over $300.00? Will I be better off buying a model costing extra? Or does it matter? I based my information on Linux being a robust Operating System. Able to run regardless of how rough the tower stats are. Does the hardware matter in the cheap systems that are being offered these days that include Linux? Any suggestions? If you are curious as to which one I am thinking of getting. It is at Wal... and has linux Mandrake 8.2 installed.

TIA!

jqr220, the default nvidia driver will work fine for 2d graphics, including mouse cursors and everything else in X. The only problem will be when trying to use 3d acceleration. Then you'll want to have the proprietary nvidia drivers installed. However, when installing them, go with an earlier version that's been out for a few months, as I've had bugs in the latest versions of nvidia drivers.
Sincerely,

Tom Anderson
CEO, Order amid Chaos, Inc.

Stormchaser,
I have loaded Linux on many older Pentium computers. Instillation is pretty easy if you have at least a Pentium II 300, hard drive 2.5 GIG , RAM 128, and CD-ROM. The video card, and sound card should be a common brand so that they are easily recognized by the installer program. You might look at the web site below for a IBM Pentium II 350 system which is suitable with the addition of more RAM, but not bad for $84.
Vince Vince LaPorte
vincentL@acmc.com
Marshall, MN 56258

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back