Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Cd-Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidwestCC

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2005
US
Hey Guys
I am just wondering of there is anyway that I can make a Cd Menu for linux software so when I put the software on a blank cd-r so when the user puts it in the cd rom the cd menu comes up asking either to install the software or read me files.

Yes, I guess.
Google for automount.

But be aware some things:
Most linux-user seldomly install something from a cd.
Installation often requires su-rights.
Often linux-users act on the commandline and in X11, and the cdrom-drive dosn't know, whether to display the menu on X11 or the commandline.

But if you create a solution mostly for yourself, and allways use X11 (or allways the commandline [talking about a ncurses-style menu]) you should be able to do that.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

well see i am trying to do is try to get linux in the mainstream like windows so that is why i was asking if there is a such thing in cd menu in linux.

There is a lot more than a few over in the Linux (Server) forum that would rip you a new one if they heard you say that. Where is comes to a server platform, linux is second to none and Windows is no where around in that category. Look at the thousands of dollars you would spend for a windows server and what do you have? A server that you keep spending more money on to make secure. When a major virus hits the web, who keeps cruisin' right along? I'll give you a hint. It wasn't the M$ guys. If you look at what M$ has been doing lately is giving you a pretty decktop environment for you money. They've stripped XP down so it can't be run as any kind of decent server. As if a hundred bucks isn't enough, you need to pay a few hundred for the pro version and end up with a mediocre system at best. If you want a platform with everything you need to run a server, you need to pay through the nose and get NT or 2003. Then you have to pay through your other nose or somebody elses to buy the server components. As I said earlier, Anything close to what linux can do would cost several thousands of dollars on a Windows system. Mainstream? I'd rather leave linux just the way it is rather than change it so I can make my user interface cute to look at.

Linux has a fair bit to go before it can be widely accepted as a desktop platform. Since this is the "client/desktop" forum, any discussion of it as a server platform is irrelevant.

The only thing I've seen is the CD icon change upon inserting a volume, or maybe a browser window open with the CD contents.

If Linux doesn't support such a menu, then the only proper and useful answer is "No, it doesn't", not "You don't need it".

What?!! Your sticking up for him?!! Did you here what he said about linux? He didn't say nothin' 'bout no stinkin' desktop. If he did, then I'd say he had a bone to pick with kde or gnome but the man picked on my beloved linux! Why I aughta... let me at'm I say. Let me at'm.

Well, you've got me there. I've never had a need for a menu or file browser on a server, so I figured desktop (plus the forum choice). Tongue-in-cheek aside, I do notice some features missing on desktop Linux. I'm sure it'll get there, or someone will create a script or workaround. I can wait.

hold on here im not talking about servers I am just talking about linux desktop noting about servers.

Stefanwagner brought up some very good points. But getting to your original question of can you make a program that will do that, the answer is yes. If you installed "Everything" during the install, then you have all the compilers and development libraries you need. If not, you'll need to get the C and gcc (same thing actually) compiler and all its libraries. Then you need the X11 development kit as well as the gnome and/or kde development kits. Rather than start from scratch, you may want to get together a few programs with one or two of the functions you want. Almost all software for linux comes with source code so that means you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Just compile their source into your program and give credit where credit is due.

In other words, you're looking for something like the Windows autorun.ini mechanism, right? Sorry, but it doesn't exist in Linux. What happens when you stick a CD in the drive can and will vary between distributions. For instance, Xandros will mount the CD and open the file browser to the mount point, Kubuntu will add a CD icon to your desktop, and Slackware will do absolutely nothing. It might be possible to configure a system to launch a particular file when a CD is inserted, but I've never seen it and it certainly isn't standard behavior.

I believe that's one of the features in Linux. Many moons ago, before I discovered Linux, I *cough* used M$. One of the first things I did after a lengthy install (drivers and such) was turn off the cd autostart. Maybe I'm a control freak, so be it. I like the fact that Linux doesn't do something when it hasn't been told to.
I can't wait until more hardware vendors begin supporting Linux. Last I checked, Linux had 12% of the desktops, and that number is climbing.

Mark

Well, I don't like the autostart of CDs on the windows plattform too.

If I want to look into a manual of a driver (printer, soundcard, ...) and insert the cd, it tries to install the driver...

I don't see the CDs which would support the autostart, but of course
- you may build your own autostart mechanism
- you may try to read and interpret the autorun.inf-file for windows, and
--) abort, if a xy.exe is called
--) open fireforx, konqueror, elinks, opera or something, if a html-file is to open
--) try to translate a .bat-file to .sh and ran that
--) start java, if the programm is a java program, or start another portable program where possible.
-) start an audioplayer, if the cd is a audiocd

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I always love to laugh at the number of "12% of the desktops" with Linux, because it's VERY hard to really find out... There are too many distros, to many disks to have any idea what percent it really is... And what about dual booters? Are they "windows" or "linux" or whichevertheyusemore or is that it's own percent in this survey.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Don't forget about the Playstation Linux installs (100%). :)

Now, if I had said 98%, you wouldn't have believed me.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back