Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Backup on external USB dirve

Status
Not open for further replies.

chkmg

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
EU
Hi, I need to know if there is any software that enables Linux servers to backup on external USB hard drives? I want to install it on Debian linux. I know Veritas has some agent that enables backing up linux servers' data but I want something that installs on Debian itself, thanks in advance!

Regards

How elaborate a backup scheme do you need? Backup meaning getting data from one media to another for safe keeping. You could use anything from cp, dd, rsync, etc to meet those needs.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Thanks guys, what I need is something that would run according to a schedule and is capable of doing incremental backups too. I did find some good info at the link dsryan has pasted plus I will definitley look into rsnapshot too.

Regards,
Chkmg

Try Bacula... It works great for writing directly to tape drives, or to plain files. You'd use this as the latter. Don't know if there is a debian package for it.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

rsnapshot will allow you to back up and keep incrementals, it's fast and uses as much disk as 1 full backup plus deltas.

I currently snapshot my production systems every 4 hours, I keep 6 of those 4-hourly snaps, 7 daily, 4 weekly and 6 monthly. Once the first backup was made subsequent snapshots take about 30 seconds on my Athlon 1700+ backing up about 4 gigs.

The docs have a nice little NFS trick for giving users read-only access to their snapshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back