Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux 9.0 Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBDan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 4, 2003
US
I am new to Linux, and I just tried installing Linux 9.0 on a newly assembled computer. When I tried to install from a CD,it did not give a CONGRATULATIONS screen, and just says you can now reboot safely.

When I reboot, it shows the screen below:

GRUB version 0.90(639k lower/ 490432k upper memory)

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename].

grub>

How do I load the GUI?

Thanks

use the command 'startx' to load the GUI if it has been configured at installation time. If not you need to configure it using one of the X configuration tools. You'll need to know some info about your graphics card such as make/model/videoram etc.

run xf86config

Once you have configured Xwindows for your system:

Type startx at the prompt. When X starts, watch how it behaves. The display may be quite distored or "messy" when it first starts. Don't panic. This is normal as it's displaying contents that are in the Video Ram at the time, for some odd reason. The display should clear up to a plain white one (if you're using KDE, for example) or a black and white checker-like one (if you're using an older Window Manager).

If you find that these things don't happen, or the screen stays garbled for more than five seconds, or jumps up and down or side to side, hit CTRL+ALT+Backspace and wait while X Window abruptly shuts down. You'll want to go back and reconfigure your video card settings by running xf86config again, and be sure to enter the same monitor settings you used before, but choose another video card driver (like the Generic Vesa, which is a good one to start from anyway).

Explore for more info.

Hope this helps,
Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your help. I think one of the problems that I mught have is that mine is a new motherboard, and the network card drivers are not detected when configuring the network. Another problem is that I probably did not disable PNP. But I fixed it now, thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back