Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WRT54G works with desktop but not with laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtmena

MIS
May 25, 2003
BR
Hi, I have a wrt54g (with the lastest firmware) configure to use WPA-PSK, TKIP and a 20 char secret key.

I've managed to configure two desktop computers running windows xp with d-link DWL DAG530 cards. Unfortunately my two laptops (a vaio and a hp) with built-in wireless cards find the network but are unable to acquire an IP.

Any tips ?

thats more likely an issue with the pc's than with the wrt54. check the configurations on the laptops, check some other posts with regards to this issue. check in 'services' if wireless zero config is enabled.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've tried the search but could not find any related issue. I've triple-checked the laptop's settings and I am use I am missing something but I can't tell what.

Both are using windows utilities to configure (view wireless networks, click in the one I want, give the network key)

On the laptops, try to upgrade to latest drivers for the NICs. I had a similiar problem with an IBM Thinpad and a Linksys. The IBM had old drivers, and an upgrade did it.

Mike

It is my understanding that all wireless routers must be configured with a wired connection the first time you use them. It isnt the Linksys's fault.

Can the two clients that dont get IP's ping the router?

Do you have any type of MAC filtering turned on in the router?

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back