Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WRT54G problems: 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

psemianonymous

Programmer
Dec 2, 2002
US
I've read a hundred threads on usenet about problems with the Linksys Wireless-G routers. I'd appreciate some direction as to how to fix my problems.

My WRT54G drops the internet connection after a variable period of time. I've been good for two hours, or as little as fifteen minutes. I am still able to get into router management (i.e. but I am not able to access the Internet. I am running firmware version 1.02.1. Powering down/cycling the router fixes the problem, at least until the next failure...

I have read a LOT of threads, and I have seen some suggestions. Comment as you may on the following:

-I should set the MTU to 576

-Uncheck the "IEEE 802.1X authentication" option

-Upgrade my firmware to the most recent version (I've heard both good and awful things about upgrading the firmware...)

-Change the channel to 11 (from 6)

-Change from Mixed-Mode to G-only

-Heating issue, move the WRT54G itself

-((( INSERT YOUR SUGGESTION HERE )))

A little aside: is there any way to remotely reboot the router (i.e. from my machine, where I am unmovably sitting)? I am aware of the "ping hack", in which you can run linux commands in the "ping" box by doing `ls -al`, for example. So can I use `reboot` or `shutdown 1` safely on this box? I'm afraid to try...

Thanks for any help,

Pete

If you read this thread carefully, you may notice that I couldn't find a proper solution. So good luck to you.

Pete

Between the newest firmware from Linksys/Cisco, the wifi box firmware project and Seavsoft, this little router has become and incredible deal for under $100 US.

For example, under the current Linksys/Cisco codebase, the wifi firmware offers:

Wireless:

. Power Transmit Adjusting (12.75dBm ~19mW -> max 19.25dBm ~ 84mW)
. TX & RW Antenna Selection ( Left Diversity Right)
. Support for 14 Channels (WorldWide)
+ Will support for Bridge and Repeater, WDS mode in final release

System & Network:

. Support for subnet 255.255.0.0 & 255.0.0.0
. Static DHCP
. DNS Local
. SNMPD ( Works right with mrtg)
. Support VPN Passthrough (IPSec - PPTP - L2TP )
. Add 'Server Profiles' for easy configure up to 14 Host Servers (
FTP,HTTP,HTTPS,DNS,SMTP,POP3,Telnet,IPSec,PPTP,Terminal,VNC,Emule,Ident,MSN)
. Up to 14 Port Range Forward settings
. VPN Server (PPTP) Buld-in
. Support for Zone-Edit, Custom Dyndns DDNS
. Telnet Shell
. Remote Wake On Lan support
. Easy Reboot and Restart all service just a click
. Ping & Traceroute hacked for allow run shell command
. AutoRun Bash Script - Easy set an autorun script each time router reboot
. Status with more infos like Uptime & CPU Load, Wireless Client List
+ SSH Shell
+ Bandwidth Management
+ VPN Server IPSec
+ VPN Client (PPTP & IPSec)

** . = Current release | + = Will be add in next release **

iptables 1.2.9
PoPToP v1.1.3
pppd 2.4.2
busybox 1.0 pre7
pptp 1.4
net-snmp 5.1
Kernel 2.4.20 Tweaked

Seavsoft already offers in their versions most WDS modes, including client and repeater.

Sheesh. A definite buy.

cf.

Sitting all day here with nothing to do and I have found this:

It looks promising, because as soon as I tried it, I was able to cruise around once more. I should warn you though about this part here of above:

"I don't want to claim that a disconnect will NEVER happen again after using this method, but if it does I'm pretty confident that if you go to your status page in the router Your external wan # will be 0.0.0.0 Those darn Isp's!"

Basically, he claims that this should fix our problem if its not faulty hardware (well, not that it isnt faulty hardware to begin with if this is the problem but you know what I mean)....otherwise, any further disconnects is from our ISP screwing us and I have noticed this exact problem when I go to the router settings and seeing those nasty 0's. Can someone confirm that this is ISP related?

Secondly, I noticed that my dynamic settings don't change much so I have no reason to have my DHCP in the router settings to be set to automatic....could setting these to static fix the above problem?

Anyways, I'm testing the first part now and seeing how long I can go without disconnecting. If I do, I will check the router for the zeros.....fix it by releasing, and obtaining new settings, etc...

Then, I am going to see how long I go until the next disconnect and see if its the same problem. If that is the case, and you guys do confirm that it is an ISP issue, then I know what there is nothing that my router can do any further to alleviate this nuissance (except maybe what I suggested in the previous post).

Beyond that, do you think that an RMA exchange could solve this problem (or even the first problem)? Linksys tech support has already given me the A-OK to change the router. Perhaps I should give it a go?

If someone could also help me with one more thing, as all this is very new to me.

I would like to know how to view the NAT table. My husband uses DC++ on a regular basis (and well, I do too from time to time). I should like to have a peep at it.

I have no idea how to do that and google search results are not being my friend right now.

The NAT entries can be seen in your router configuration pages. Look under wireless, DHCP entries.

But I suspect you want to see the external connection IP addresses.

Under Windows, Start, Run, CMD
In the CMD session window that opens up, type:

netstat -a

gretaf,

The broadbandreports Linksys Forum is one of the best on the web. But you have to take some of what is said there with a few grains of salt, as they are the crankiest people as well.

Have you upgraded the firmware on the router? This is absolutely critical:

yeah, after tonights extenstive testing, i have come to the conclusion that all i posted earlier is a load of crap (but i would like to check out the DC++ effects). the nat table is important for me to look at.

beyond that, i forsee an RMA coming. i figure if the same problem happens with the replacement, then it was fate.

few more tests and trials.....will post my results.

i appreciate every reply i get. good luck!

Hello to everyone,

As i have the same problems (zero dns, port-forwarding lockups, etc) with the linksys products (befdsr41w and wrt54g), i also tested it extensively. I send the products rma, but still the same problems.

For the zeros in the dns part of the internet, i've let my isp to test my phoneline for any disturbances and they could not find anything (figures).

On my side i've found out that i have an extra line to connect a phone, so the splitter was placed after where the lines comes together. This causes some disturbance in the line so it could be possible that the internetconnection will be lost (every hour). This i could not see because it was in my wall and i discoverd it accidently.
As a result of the lost connection, the port-forwarding gets screwed up and the firewall will block any unknown packets.
At the moment i'm waiting for the phonecompany to rearrange my phonecables. If it solves the problem i'll post it in the forum.

On the other hand, isp's could sabotage other router products because they want you to buy theirs. This happened before with zeelandnet in Holland.

I hope this will help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back