Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LINKSYS WRT54G and Verizon DSL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

egnalc

Instructor
Mar 27, 2002
US
My business partner and myself recently purchased 2 WRT54G Linksys wireless routers. We both have verizon DSL and when we configurethe Linksys we cannot get a valid default gateway address, we get a 10.5.63.1 address. We can ping and tracert but we cannot use to access the web. Call Verizon or Linksys they cannot figure it out. We assigned static DNS addresses, cloned mac's, etc. My business partner took one of the WRT54G to his house and he has the same exact problem. We connect our Linksys 11b routers and we have no problem.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

10.5.63.1 is the Verizon DHCP granted IP. The MAC cloning and other features do not matter for DSL.

It would help a lot if I knew which modem you are using. But try this:

1. Do not run any Verizon PPoE or other software. The WRT54G can authenticate your account and handle any PPoE chores all by itself.

2. In the Setup page for the WRT54G set it to DHCP and not PPoE.

3. Remove any static DNS server assignments

4. Set the router IP address to 192.168.2.1, subnet 255.255.255.0

Save your changes. Turn off the workstation, modem and the router. Restart the modem. When it stabilizes, restart the router. Now restart the workstation.

From the workstation, if you could post back the results of an ipconfig /all here it would help.

5. Reboot your machine and test.

What this setup accomodates is a "double NAT" for modems that provide routing capabilities. The ideal setup would be to place the modem in PPoE "bridge" mode. If you provide the make and model informatioin for the router you can be helped with this. In my area Verizon has been handing out Westell Model 2200 modems, and the configuration with a Linksys router is detailed here:

Thanks for the quick response. The modem is a Westell Wirespeed model A90-210015-04. I will try you suggestion today my only other question is how will the Linksys authenticate without the Verizon User ID and Password because once you set the Linksys to DHCP you cannot enter the VerizonUser ID and Password.

Thanks again!

Okay I did what you suggested and here is my IPCONFIG /All info

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-nhg457u91c
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card PCI 10 Adapter (SMC1208)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-29-37-93-E9
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 151.201.0.38

When I look at the status of the linksys it says disconnected. Do I need to change the setting from gateway to Router and if so what address should I enter.

Thanks

For the Westell Wirespeed model A90-210015-04 (Westell 2200) place the modem in Bridge mode. You would then change the WRT54G to PPoE in its setup page, and a box will open to add your authentication username (egnalc@verizon.net or whatever) and the original account setup password you used with Verizon.

To set the modem to bridge mode:
Connect the modem directly to your computer when you do this. Then turn it off, and disconnect the modem. Connect the router, and make the necessary changes. Turn off everything and restore power: modem, then router, then PC.

The gateway/router setting in the router setup should be left at its default. If you made static DNS entries, remove them. Your other settings look fine from the ipconfig results.

No luck because I cannot access the modem configuration utility. Any other suggestions.

Connect directly to the modem. Set your IP to a static IP of 192.168.1.2, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1, and disable any popup blocker you may have enabled.

After 2 hours on the phone with Verizon and Linksys no one has a clue. They told me my modemis not a 2200 so it can't be configured.I just receive a new WRT54G from Linksys and it does the same thing. One thing I didn't mention was that I do have access to some websites, not all. I can ping and tracert. Also, there are no WAN entries in the routing table of the Linksys. Any ideas before I move on to DLink

Thanks

. Set the WRT54G for PPoE authentication. Enter the necessary account information.

. Set the LAN IP of the router to 192.168.2.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway undefined at 0.0.0.0

. Save the settings

. Hold down the reset button until all the lites flash, go off, the red diag lite comes on, then goes off. Then depower the Linksys. Depower the modem.

. Start the modem first. It will not have the last lite lit because there is no local connection.

. Now start the WRT54G

. Now reboot the workstations set to "obtain an IP address automaticly"

If this does not work, replace the modem and not the router.

Follow what bcastner has suggested. Also mac clone, some modems have MAC filters. Also if you also get 10.xxx.xxx.xxx. It just actually means that your are not authenticated, even though under status it states connected. Usually verizon gives out an ip address of 151.xxx.xxx.xxx, thats your hint that you are online.

Now if ever you can get websites but not all, make sure that those are not cached. Also powercycling helps. BTW turn off any pppoe settings that is set on your computer.

hope this helps.

Egnalc-
I have run into the same exact problem you are describing. I got a router for my friend as a gift and it didn't work right- most pages would load, but some (like yahoo mail) would not. That was a D-link router. I then moved to a Netgear- same results. NOw I have a Linksys because Verizon actually sells them and it still has the same results. This is, of course, with a Wirespeed 2200 dsl modem.
And Kennz- good suggestions, but I am sure the sites are not cached. And I am blue in the face from power cycling.
This has to be a known-issue of some type, but the responsible company is not owning up to it. I am betting it is Westell. I mean really- I tried 3 brands of routers without any success.
If anyone knows about this issue, please post.
Thanks,
Brett

1. Connect directly to the Westell Modem.
Place the Westell modem in bridge mode.

2. Connect directly to the Linksys router.
Set the Linksys router to connect using PPoE, and supply your connection information.

3. Now connect both devices together.

In addition to the above make sure your mtu is set at 1492 max (the optimum is probably lower). You can learn more about the mtu settings at
I believe when I first signed up for verizon dsl, I had the same exact problem and it was resolved by lowering the mtu to 1492. For some reason, it was set at 1500 as default.

I have just had this same issue... let me describe it...

1. New Linksys router AP would connect, I could ping anything but only browse to certain web sites.

2. New Netgear router AP ... same characteristics.

3. Windows XP connected directly to modem using PPoE worked fine.

4. 3 year old Linksys router worked fine.

After three days of troubleshooting and three calls to Verizon tech support, the final tech told me to make sure that the router MTU was set to 1492... this fixed the issue.

The Netgear was sent to MTU 1500 did not work until I set it to 1492. The new linksys was set to MTU Automatic, I had to set it to manual and 1492 to make it work. The old Linksys had MTU disabled.

Hope this helps... Don't you think it should be at the top of the Verizon Tech's list???? You know how much those 888 numbers cost????

MTU setting at 1492... I would have guessed 1491.
Yes, hburpee- I would have expeced that at the top of Verizon's list.
I did get my friend up and running about a week ago and forgot to post my results. I set the DSL modem to bridge mode and things seemed to work fine using the original DLink router.
-Brett

egnalc

Did you ever get this worked out?

I am having the exact same problem with a Westell versalink 327W.

Help?

I've had a problem browsing the internet since I installed a linksys wrt54g wireless router. I'm using a Westell 2200 dsl modem with verizon. I had 1 dell Dimension 4100 that worked fine with a wired connection and a Dell latitude laptop that could only access a limited number of web sites whether wired or wireless. I have an old 486 running Win98 with the same problem. Latitude was running XPpro. All three computers had no problem communicating with each other on the network. After a lot of poking around, I found that if I changed the router MTU setting from Auto (1492) to manual 1400, everything works fine. I think that the computer that always worked would have had problems too if I hadn't used a free download utility (TCP Optimizer). I'm going to test this theory when I get time. One other thing I found out is that if you set up the router and then reset the Westell 2200, the Westell will detect the router and set itself to bridge mode automatically. I hope this helps others because because both Verizon and Linksys support were not able to help me with this problem even though they tried their best. BTW I just set MTU 1400 as a guess. I'm going to play around with that setting some more.

Just wanted to say thanks! I was having exactly the same problem, and setting the MTU was all I needed to do to get everything working! Much easier than calling Linksys and/or taking the thing back to the store...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back