Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WPC-11 to Router locks up laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterfootjones

Technical User
Jul 20, 2002
US
Home network. Linksys BEFSR41 Router. Linksys WPC-11 PC card. I can connect a PC to the router via wired Network adapter and to the Internet. I can connect the Laptop to the router directly with a wired Network adapter and get on the Internet. But, when I use the WPC-11 PC Card, the Laptop locks up. I can connect with 100% signal strength and maintain that connection. But when I open Internet Explorer, lock-up. Been on the phone and email with Linksys tech support and SBC without solution. Any ideas?

I am running Win 98SE. Do I need a new driver? I will look on the Linksys web site. Seeing all those other users having trouble connecting was discouraging. Do these wireless products work? Why would I need to download a driver? When a package says compatible with Win 98, I assume the right driver will be installed. I tried reformatting my harddrive and loading Win98 from scratch. So, I do not think anything in my OS or registry is corrupted. I wish I could stop messing with this project and just return the router and the PC Card, but I cannot give up.

No, I can never quit either. The problem I have read deals with the drivers which ship for Windows 98 etc. The drivers had a bug in them so Linksys put out new drivers to "fix". I use the same router in my office network. I also use a Linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4) and usb receiver (WUSB11) on a network here in my home. I stay away from the pc cards because usb usually works a little more trouble free. They (Linksys)make good products. I will tell you that since I upgraded all of my office network and home network to XP I have very few problems like this anymore. One thing I am curious about, the BEFSR41 is not a wireless gateway. What product are you using as a wireless gateway? When you say you are connecting with 100% signal strength what are you connecting to?

Appreciate the feedback. I meant BEFW11S4. I loaded the WPC-11 driver in a friend's laptop and it worked fine. So, I concluded that my laptop computer was somehow overloaded by the wireless experience. It is a Pentium MMX 233. It has 64 mb RAM. Seems to surpass their minimum requirements. I gave up and went out and bought an Apple iBook with an AirCard. This took about 10 minutes to set up and connected to the BEFW11S4 without a hitch. Using it right now. Do you know if Apples can network with PCs wirelessly with that Linksys router.

Yes they are supposed to be able to work with the Linksys but I have never tried it. As long as the protocols are the same and the Aircard is IEEE 802.11b (DSSS) 2.4GHz-Compliant Equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back