Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WMP54g crashes Dell PowerEdge 600SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cismaxz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
Just received a Dell PowerEdge 600SC the other day that I will use as a file server in my house. It comes with a onboard gigabit NIC but I want to use a Linksys wireless PCI card (WMP54G). The system has one 32-bit 3.3v PCI slot and 5 64-bit 3.3v PCI slots. When I put the card in and install Windows 2000 it does not have the drivers for the card obviously and shows it as an unknown NIC. I have no other PCI cards in the system and have tried it on the 32-bit and the 64-bit slots. As soon as I install the drivers the system blue screens and says - Hardware malfunction - call your hardware vendor for support - the system has halted. Then when I reboot the system it blue screens and says - unable to load driver - \systemroot\system32\drivers\bcmwl5.sys this is the driver for the card. I can get it to boot if i choose safe mode without network support or if I take the card out. I have installed Windows 2000 twice and updated to SP3. I also tried it in XP and it still does the same thing. I called Linksys and they say it is a conflict with the system so I cal Dell and they say that it is a problem with the driver. Any ideas? I have also tried to change the IRQ in the BIOS.

cismaxz,
Have you updated the Bios on that machine. I just did a quick check on the Dell site and the current Bios version is A04. I find that the Bios revisions tend to help a lot of different problems.

See if you can get to this link to download the new version.

I am getting this same message when trying to install an Audigy sound card. Did you ever determine the cause?

Thanks,

Ryan V. Stevenson
Specialty Services Director

National Support Network
East Lansing, MI - USA

Ryan@itpayz.com

Wow this is an old message :) No, I never was able to resolve the problem. I spoke with a friend of mine who works in the NT group as a developer at MS and he said it is definitely a driver issue. I ended up just getting rid of the card and using USB wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back