Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linksys wmp11 card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritska

Technical User
Aug 13, 2001
KE
Hello there,
Newbie to Linux (but can pronounce it correctly!) just installed redhat and now want to get above card to work. It's a PCI card, but not listed on the driver list for network adapters. The linksys site doesn't list a driver for it. Is there anyway to install it like with windows, you could install a standard modem and it would often work??? clutchin at straws??

Thanks, and apologies for any blatant stupidity, remember, I'm new to this sheeeet ;-)

Look on the card for a 2.7 or 27 anything. If it does, chances are (99%) that it's a Broadcomm wireless chipset.

The Broadcomm chipset WILL NOT work with Linux.

A way to guarantee that is by doing lspci and looking at the output of the card. Prism cards will work. Broadcomm will NOT.

Please let Tek-Tips members know if their posts were helpful.

I have been trying to get a wireless lan card to work with RH9 for about a month and I have yet to find a definative answer on what PCI card is DEFINATELY compatible with linux. From all I can tell (linux-wlan.org) it all depends on the chipset on the card itself. Try looking up the card by the FCC-ID on it. If you do find "drivers" they will not install anything "like windows". They will probably be the source files that you will then have to compile, which means that you need to have the kernel source files on your computer as well. Once you've compiled, you will have a module named [driver-name].o and you will use a program called insmod. You can also use lsmod to find out what modules are running at the time. Some PCI wireless drivers won't work well if their PCMCIA counterparts (drivers for that same chipset, only for pcmcia cards) are enabled. You will most likely have to configure this in a .conf file before compiling the module. Since I am also a linux amature as well, I have only done this once, so I could be wrong. Also, even though linux-wlan.org says my chipset (realtek) is supported, it still doesn't work with my PCI card (Acrotech/Xterasys). Good luck!

This card will work with Redhat9, TEW-223PI made by Trendnet @ trendware.com (I ordered this card online from Compusa @ 6:30pm 1 day and had it in my linux box by 2:30 pm the next day before the Fedx truck left.) They have drivers on their web site for redhat 7.3 and 8.0 but for Redhat9 you have to go to admtek.com and download the drivers that will install the 8211.o module. Download the 103 version, and follow the instructions in the readme file because you will have to edit a line in the make file for your kernel version(real simple) and use the -f (force) option when you load the module " insmod -f 8211.o" and just ignore the license error message and configure the card with your wireless tools.

"never hack a crack for he may crack and hack back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back