Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys wireless router & Dlink wireless PCI card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdapp

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2002
CA
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router in a network with two laptops, a network printer and COMPAQ PC. Both laptops are using linksys PCMCIA wireless NIC's and can connect fine. The printer has an IP address no problem either. The problem is with the COMPAQ running WIN98SE. We first tried installing a WMP11 wireless b NIC. It completely destabilized Windows to the point where we were thinking we would have to perform a repair install of WIN98. When we deinstalled the NIC, Windows came back to life. I then installed a USR wireless NIC but and it worked fine in the office when the router was less than 10 ft. away. When I took it out to the client site, it didn't have the range. I removed that and installed a Dlink DWL-520 wireless NIC. We are receiving decent communications from the router. It get's and DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.104 and when I check the status on the router, it shows the 104 IP address as a client. We cannot however, ping the router or any other IP address in the network from the COMPAQ PC. It seems wierd that I can release and renew the IP address at will but cannot otherwise talk to the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a firewall is involved with the Compaq PC. Either there is a firewall, or one is "hidden." Some antivirus software includes a "hidden" firewall component that can be disabled under the program options. PC-Illan is famous for doing this.

That was one of my thoughts. I checked and there doesn't seem to be any type of firewall at all. The only thing running is NAV 2000.

One issue with several firewall products is that they do not uninstall completely. Zone Alarm and McAfee are notorious for this. Bring up the Task Manager and see what processes are running. I think you will find a firewall engine there.

HOw about the WEP on the router?....Is it enabled or disabled?

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

Have you updated the drivers of the wireless card?
It may also help to check the DLink website for some issues with their controllers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back