Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Wireless Network Keeps Dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.

site4sure

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
Hi Everyone,

I installed a Linksys WMP11 network card in a new dell optiplex. I also bought a wireless router/access point for B. I can't recall the exact product code right now. Anyhow, the wireless NIC on the optiplex sometimes drops all together during the day. Thier configuration tool does not work and you have to unistall everything reinstall, then sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Can anyone help? If you need more details, e-mail me.

-CJC

Might be driver version. That card has been real stable for me. I have installed dozens. Connections drop for only a few reasons. It could be the access point that you are using unless you have otheres on it too.

Disable WEP temporarily and MAC filtering. If the problem goes away then its one of those two. Check the firmware in the access point and NIC. Linksys product has been very predictable for me. I have sold several hundred and they all acted as expected.

Derek

I had continuing problems with WAP11s (think that was the model) dropping the same way until I flashed to the latest firmware. That seems to have fixed the problem. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I had a similar problem with my setup (Linksys WAP11 access point and Linksys WUSB11 adapter). I was dropping the connection for no apparent reason. Once I upgraded the firmware on the access point, things have been just fine.

Les

I have also a linksys WAP11. It keeps dropping connection after the firmware upgrade and driver upgrade. I own both Linksys Wireless 4port Router and Netgear Wireless 4 port Router. I am also using both Linksys and Netgear PC wireless cards. Netgear is alot better out of the box. Linksys is too dependant on Firmware upgrades etc... 50% of the times Linksys routers will work out of the box with out a firmware upgrade. Dlink products act the same way as Linksys. half the times need a firmware update out of the box.

Make certain for the client usb adapter that 802.1x is NOT enabled.

You might also be getting some interference, changing the channel to 1 or 11 might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back