Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Wireless Network card and Cisco VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point/Router and a WPC11 Wireless network card for my Dell laptop.

I can VPN from my desktop (hard wired)through the router using the Cisco VPN 5000 client. NAT is set on the Cisco client and PPTP Pass Through is set on the router. However, I cannot get connected to the VPN using the wireless card. If I hard wire my laptop to the router, I can access the VPN so there is nothing wrong with the router/access point.

I can surf the Internet fine with the wireless card in my laptop. I just can't connect to the VPN. Any ideas?

What OS are you running on your laptop?
We had problems with the Cisco client software running on our laptops using Compaq NICs. In some cases, we had to either remove or unbind the Network Deterministic Enhancer (I think that's what it's called) in order for it to work with that NIC. You could be experiencing something similar to that where the VPN client software has trouble with your NIC.

Let me know if you even have the NDE installed and what OS you're running.

Niall

I have a problem like this one. Running Wondows 2000 on an IBM laptop. Trying to connect to Cisco's VPN. Works fine hard wired with ISDN. When we go wired with the cable modem it will not connect. It is running the Network Deterministic Enhancer, Ill try to turn that off.

Two things:

(1) The Deterministic Network Enhancer is how SoftNet's software gets and send packets into the Win2K network stack. I'd be surprised if things worked after removing it.

(2) There is a problem with certain types of broadband connections, especially when PPPoE is used. The problem is that PPPoE reduces the MTU to 1492 from 1500 and Softnet's VPN software doesn't realize this. Many firewalls drop fragmented packets and therefore if your IPsec traffic gets fragmented because of the 8 byte smaller MTU limit, your VPN won't work. Setting the MTU for the interface on which you are VPNing down to 1400 or using something like RASPPPoE on your box (which has a setting for spoofing MTU) gets around the problem. Note that this issue exists even if you are running PPPoE on the DSL modem or on a firewall/router box between your computer and the internet.

tek-tips-aathan%NOSPAM@memeplex.com

I had a similar problem with my Linksys - I use Cisco VPN 3.03a client (Ipsec with Nat)... I needed to upgrade the Linksys firmware to get the wireless to connect... Works great now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back