Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Wireless: File Sharing with Mixed Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

trussman

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I just recently setup my first wireless network utilizing a Linksys Wireless Broadband Router. I am using an HP laptop with Windows XP Home edition and my old Dell desktop with Windows 98. I would like to share my files on my desktop with my new laptop. Also, I would like to print to my existing printer connected to my desktop. I turned on the file and print sharing option under the network settings, but it does not show up on my network locations on my laptop. I did not place passwords under the files or the printer.

If anyone has some insight as to why I cannot access my desktop through my laptop, please let me know.

Thank you......

I forgot one thing, I am using the Linksys Wireless - G Broadband Router, Model: WRT54G.

I tried going through this. But could not figure it out. I have dealt with networks before. I have setup printer and file sharing on networks. I can view the old PC on my laptop, but cannot access it. I review my sharing and everything is listed as all share. Anyone can use it. Is there something more I need to configure in Win 98 to allow it to be read by laptop?

I had a simliar setup with a Dell Windows XP Home trying to connect to an older HP with Windows 98. I could see the HP from the Dell (in My Network Places), but could not connect to show shares on the HP. It would give some access error see your administrator although I dont remember exactly what it said. Turns out that it was Zone Alarm Firewall software on the Dell Machine. Be sure to check that the Windows XP Software doesnt have its built in Firewall enabled and if it is running Zone Alarm you must enable your Local LAN to be in a trusted zone. Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Acquisitive_One
MCSA, A+

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

One more thing i to had the Linksys Wireless - G Broadband Router, Model: WRT54G so it is the exact same setup!

Acquisitive_One
MCSA, A+

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Yes I receive the exact same adminstratr message. Now, I am new to working with Windows XP and have not been through the guts of it so to speak. Just wondering where would I
find the Zone Alarm, and how would I turn it off?

Thanks..........

Zone Alarm does not come installed with Windows XP. It is an additional firewall software that would need to be installed. Check your start menu to see if you have a program from Zone Labs also in your bottom right hand corner if you have ZA logo in your system tray. If not make sure that your Windows XP system does not have the firewall turned on. On your desktop right click My Network Places choose Properties. Look for Local Area Network Connection if it has a lock on it then the firewall is enabled. You need to turn it off. Right Click the Local Area Connection and choose Properties. There should be a tab for Security and and option to turn on/off the Firewall. I dont remember exactly what it is called. If you dont have a firewall on the XP Machine please be sure and check the 98 Machine for some sort of firewall software. Note: Windows 98 does not come with a built in firewall. Windows XP has a firewall built in to the OS, although I do not believe it is turned on by default!
**Please be sure and check to see if there is any firewall software running on either machine. There are many different softwares out there. i.e. McAfee, Norton Internet Security, Black ICE.***

Please see this article pay attention especially to the step 4 under troubleshooting basic connectivity!

Let me know if you get it resolved.

Acquisitive_One
MCSA, A+

You know what....I think it just hit me....I do have Norton Firewall on my Dell Win 98 computer that I am trying to access....that is probably what is not allowing me to access the computer....unfortunately I will not be able to look at it until tonight when i get home....I will disable that first and see what happens....I will let you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back