Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router w/4-Port Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ootorres

Technical User
Feb 24, 2003
US
I have an EtherFast® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router w/4-Port Switch (BEFW11S4) with TimeWarner RoadRunner internet broadband service. A Toshiba cable modem connects the Linksys AP to the broadband internet connection.

Also use VPN to access my company's intranet and server network for file storage.

The problem is: with VPN enabled, I can access my company's intranet site, but not the server network for file sharing. I've adjusted virtually every setting on the Linksys AP, but cannot access the server network.

If I bypass the Linksys AP and connect the Toshiba cable modem directly to my laptop, then enable the VPN, I can access both the company intranet sites and the server network and conduct file transfers.

Does anyone know what is prohibiting the Linksys AP from giving me access to my company server network via VPN????

ootorres:

First, tell me how you setup/installed your Linksys BEFW11S4 to the Time Warner Road Runner service (ie: which cable to which port, what settings on the router you have made/changed, etc.)

ootorres,

Well are you running wireless or just hard wired to the router? You said that when you're directly connected to the modem you don't experience any problems. What's the model of your modem (like is it a modem/router)? What specifically is your configurations on the Linksys router and modem?

Here is what you could try out (Basic configurations in opening ports):

Configurations for BEFW11S4:
Try to open ports: 50, 500, 1723, 10000 - Ports normally VPN uses. They are under Forwarding tab.

You could also try DMZ Host if forwarding didn't work, which it'll be under Advance tab.

If you're running wireless you could tweak settings on the MTU of the card, just refer to this site to download Dr.TCP http:\\ and go to tools.

** NOTE: BEFW11S4 is only capable of Ipsec Passthrough**

what vpn software are you using to access your office files? some vpn softwares need additional ports to be openned for them to work perfectly fine with any NAT. We hope to get response from you about this one. good luck!

Quote from Shocker above:
** NOTE: BEFW11S4 is only capable of Ipsec Passthrough**

This is a completely untrue statement.

I stand corrected it would allow both IPSec and PPtP for VPN Passthrough only!

I have almost the exact same problem, Cox Cable and a Linksys BEFW11S4. When I connect my Cisco VPN client to the office through the linksys it connects fine, but after connecting I can't get to the internet, and I cannot open outlook. I think I opened the right ports but I still cannot gain access to my exchange server. I also am not getting internet access after I connect. With the same set up and the an older Linksys non wireless AP I got through on my VPN just fine. And everything worked. Please help!

Skoaly,

If you are using the WPC11 Version 4 wireless adapter, you need Ipsec passthru enabled on the router, you need for 500 forwarded to the IP you will be using for the adapter (static IP recommended) and you need a new driver set:

The Linksys site drivers for Version 4 of the WPC11 have problems with Ipsec tunnels, but not PPTP tunnels.

There is a beta releases of the new driver set around available, and it cures this defect with the Cisco VPN client:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/beta/wpc11v4_061303.zip

I just went to this page and adjusted my MTU, but this did not solve my problem. bcastner, I am not using a wpc11v4 I am using a befw11s4. I tried contacting linksys but they have gone home for the evening. Any more ideas?

TIA,

The wpc11v4 is a wireless adapter, not a router.

The MTU change to 1400 has to be done both at the router and at the adapter.

How are you connected to the router, and if wireless, what adapter are you using?

I am using the one that is built in to my HP tablet. It is a compaq 802.11b WLAN Mini-PCI. I did change it on the router, the pc, and the tablet. All to 1200, thent tried 1300, now I am back at 1400. None of them worked. I just plugged in with a wire, and it works fine. So I am getting my work done. I guess I will just have to wait for Linksys. Also, FYI I am using the Cisco VPN Client 3.6.1

J

I am still having this problem, and I never saw a fix, did anyone find this answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back