Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Wireless Access Point Router - Hook Up Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

franksoprano

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
I have just bought a Linksys Wireless Access Point Router to allow me to utilize wireless capabilities.. I am currently running a Cisci Pix 501 Firewall that I want to keep in place. How do I connect the Linksys to the Cisco? Do I just plug the cable into the uplink port and connect it to the Pix? I am going to use as my DHCP server, so I can turn the DHCP server off on the linksys..

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

I can sense the network but I cannot pick up a IP over the wireless, but using ethernet I can..

Is the wireless side set as a default to a different subnet than the rest of your Lan? The wired ethernet ports will not have the issue, but the wireless side is essentially a bridge and the subnet difference may be an issue.

I dont think there are any options on the Linksys to set the wireless to a different network..

There is. Set the Linksys device to Router instead of Gateway on the DHCP screen.

I have changed it to router under the Dynamic Routing tab.. Which TX & RX settings should I choose?

Still no luck :-(

Also the Channel, what channel should I use or it doesnt matter as long as its the same on the router & the laptop?

I think you are almost there.

Here is a checklist:

1. Set the IP of the Linksys to a static IP. This IP should be in the subnet of your (DHCP server) network, but not within its DHCP scope. Make certain it is not in use by another device.

2. Disable DHCP on the Linksys.

3. Change Gateway to Router mode on the DHCP Screen. You can use RIP-1 for both TX and TX.

4. Set you SSID, Channel and other settings on the Linksys. For the moment, leave WEP out of the equation until everything else is sorted.

4. Run a straight-through Cat5 drop cable from a normal port on the Cisco to the uplink port on the Linksys.

5. For the Wireless clients, set the SSID and Channel to values matching the Wireless router. Set them to Infrastructure mode. Disable 802.1x authentication if shown as an Advanced option.

Try a wired client on the router. It should be able to obtain a DHCP, and have access to the local LAN and the Internet.

Try a wireless client. It should now work.

I see by this thread that only the Wirelss part is not working..
Dunno about LinkSys but Netgear Wireless routers SSID are Case Sensitive ... ie..if you type in the SSID incorrectly it won't find it, the default SSID for Netgear Routers is Wireless, (Capital W) if you have it as wireless (small w) it won't work..

bcastner,

I thank you very much for your help!! I have finally gotten it to work, I reviewed your list and made sure each setting was set correctly..

After going through all that I then realized it was also set to "On the Bridge" in XP.. So I removed it from the bridge and it works great now!!

I am writing this response from it to test it out..

Thanks Again & Have a Great Day!!

Frank Soprano-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back