Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen11

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2005
US
Hello,
I have a client with two Linksys WAP's and one Linksys Wireless router. Both Access points have Hawking high gain antennas. Now the First WAP IP:192.168.1.2 is in the same building as the router and repeats signal to the second wich is about 50 yards across an alley to the second WAP IP:192.168.1.3. I have them configured for WEP and hiding teh SSID. The problem is that the second will not recieve the signal from the first. It used to work perfectly until August this has been an on going issue and I've done just about anything I can think of before saying that one of the WAP's is dead. I've checked, double checked, triple checked the settings, rebooted various times (both WAPs) and ensured antennas were pointed in the right directions. My question is what else could cause these WAPS to completely lose connection when they were working perfect. NOTE: They are placed directly on a window sill and are exposed to sun, could this have anything to do with it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JP

Have you checked for any other wireless networks in the area. Maybe you are getting interference.

Dan

Or 2.4 GHz portable phones, which use the same frequency band and might interfere with the network. If you have any of those, it's better o replact them with 900MHz phones or 5 point somthing GHz phones.

If the phones aren't it, then see if there are nay other wireless networks around. Change your channel to something other than the default (channel 6).

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Thanks alot for the tips that is what I was leaning toward also. I'll update this when I get a chance to go back there.

We found Linksys WAP54Gs needed the latest BIOS upgrade to work reliably in repeater mode. Not in front of the relevant PC at the moment so can't tell what the latest version was that we installed... Check the Linksys website.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Also. . .in order for your AP's or Router to act as repeaters (And point to other AP / Routers) , they need to support "Bridging" mode.

This lets you point one AP /Router to another.

Joshua

Ok so I'm onsite now and i upgraded the firmware on the 2 wap54gs and the one wrt54g. And that made no difference. Now when i try to change the channel of the WAP's and then save changes the thing goes right back to six. Even when i change the router first. and then try to change the WAP to the same channel. It is in AP repeater mode (not the default). I'm at a loss here, getting very frustrating.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back