Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WAG54G and VPN passthrough 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcasii

Programmer
Aug 27, 2001
AU
Hi I have a Linksys WAG54G, and it does not seem to be correctly passing through IPsec traffic. I am attempting to connect to a VPN outsite the LAN created by the WAG54G however while using the Contivity VPN Client (V04) Software it hangs on the "Checking for Banner Text". This error usually indicates the router is not passing through traffic on Port 500 UDP (IpSec). I have been through everything with Linksys Tech support but to no avail. Apparently it shoudl work with the factory settings. Anyone else have this issue and found a solution?

Odd, I used to have the same device and with default settings my wife could use her Nortel Contivity VPN with no issues. But when switching to my PIX I had the same error message from the Contivity client and it was indeed a port 500 & 50 issue. Have you tried setting the Linksys back to factory default settings and trying it?

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

marcasii, I am having the same problem. If you descover the fix please pass it along.

Thanks!

I have tried the factory settings without any luck. I have also tried updating the firmware but it fails every time.

marcasii,
Have you tried Port Range forwarding ports 500, 50, 1723, 47?

Yep sure have. I have also made sure that the prot range forwarding was working by setting port 80 to my machine and verifying that I could see my default IIS site from outside our LAN.

What about port 9550? And disabling IPSec and PPTP passthrough?

Have tried it but how does disabling IPsec passthrough help when that's wha Im trying to establish?

Are you using XP? I have read where you should disable the "IPSEC Services" in windows when using Nortel VPN Client.
Good question, but I am not a network person so I do not have an answer, just trying to help you and myself based on what I've read to try.

I have the solution.... in my case. It was actually related to Norton Antivirus 2005's worm removal tool. If you have Norton's installed try disabling the worm removal tool. It worked for me. Thanks for the posts anyway.

Three of us where I work had the same problem a few weeks ago and found the same solution. What's strange is that I'm using a D-link DI-524 router and the other two people are using Linksys routers. What's also very strange is that when these same PCs connect to the internet either on dialup or connected directly through the DSL or Cable modem, the problem doesn't happen. It's almost as if the routers are doing something to the inbound VPN traffic that NAV detects as worm-like behavior.

~ Kathleen Anderson
Spider Web Woman Designs

I have the Same issue with the Linksys WRT55AG and the Nortel VPN Client would fail at the banner text Port 500 was being blocked.
I worked for a few months then stopped.
My Anti Virus is McAfee

Linksys states they are aware of the issue but do not have a fix as of yet.

Greetings!.. First time here..

I seem to have the Norton/VPN client problem.. Exactly how do I disable the worm tool?

Thanks!

John

Hi

I have the same situation with my Nortel VPN Client behind a Linksys WRT55Ag wireless router. I can ping my company's VPN server. I can also authenticate and retreive configuration. Then the connection hangs and then disconnects whilst "Checking for Banner".

I do not have an anti virus sofware on my machine.

Thanks
Steven

Folks,

The NORTEL VPN goes away when I turning off the Worm detection in Antivirus in Norton Systemworks 2005 Priemier, though I now must depend on the router for worm protection...

Many thanks for the suggestion I found here...

Previous post should read that the Nortel VPN Client problem goes away when I disable the NAV worm detection in Norton Systemworks Premier 2005. I am currently using a Netgear WGT634U with wireless disabled.

The problem existed before disableing worm detection for the above router wireless or not, the Linksys BEFSX41 and BSEFSR41, and the DLINK DI604. I have only tried the Norton maniputation with the Netgear router above.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back