Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys vs Others: Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroMan

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
CA
Hi Everyone,

I know that every brand of routers and wireless access points has their strengths and weaknesses, but which are the ones to avoid?

Ex:
Linksys is very durable, but have few features...
D-Link has lots of features, but always break...
SMC ?????
Netgear????

I'm very confused... and am looking for a very stable access point with MAC filtering, and good solid routers....

Thanks,
Metroman

I've used them all, its really a matter of preference. I prefer the Linksys, just for the ease of contacting support, and configuration. After dealing with dozens of the low end routers, the Linksys has the same failure rate as the others.

Matt J.

right...Linksys is better...when it works, it's really awesome! If not, you can always contact techsupport

They're okay, they'll do the job. I just prefer the linksys myself, but it will work.

Matt J.

I don't like the Linksys' small table capabilities for MAC filtering on the wireless access points, not to mention the lack of SSID broadcast disable. And it seems that everyone else has a more flexible DHCP server, and has access control lists....

Any thoughts????

I'm not here to bash anyone; I've sold over 665 Linksys boxes....

I'm pro-Linksys as well. I use them at home and at work and have had very few problems. For me, they're easy to configure which also makes them easy for me to walk someone through if I can't connect to it myself. For reliability, I trust them completely because I've never had one fail yet. If I need a switch/router in a hurry, I drive about 40 miles to another town to pick up a Linksys because I trust them more than I do Netgear, D-Link, or SMC (the primary brands in my area). I'm not sure of their higher-end products though. All I've used from them are their blue desktop/SOHO models.

I'm not a big fan of Netgear. It seems like all of the Netgear switches I've used were either flaky or defective out of the box.

One person told me that SMC is better than Linksys. Especially when it comes to IP telephony. I wouldn't know because I'm not doing any of that yet.

I installed a Linksys WRT54G router for my home network along with a WMP54G PCI desktop adapter. The WMP54G dropped the connection every 5-10 minutes.

After numerous calls to tech support to change the router settings and even exhanging the WMP54G for another card I had the same problem.

I purchased a Netgear WG311 PCI adapter and it worked just fine. No dropped connections.

For what it's worth the sales clerks at FRY's Electronics where I bought the Netgear card say they have fewer returns or problems with them than any of the others.

I am pro linksys, though I can't imagine listing their tech support as a plus. I think they suck, but that is my opinion. Maybe I'm spoiled from dealing with the TAC...

I'd like to see them add telnet. CLI is so much better than GUI...

Other than that, they build good little boxes. They occasionally ned to be bounced, but otherwise good product for the price.
[thumbsup2]

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

I have had issues with Linksys adapters, never the router or switch products.

But the simple fact of the matter is that in the consumer class market they hold a market share of 70%.

This means to me that sites such as this, and the remarkable broadbandreports.com Linksys forum, makes these the best supported consumer grade Brand being sold today.

It is users such as me and you that make this a great, if not at times fantastic product. There is not another brand with the user base of these little blue boxes. I would without hesistation buy more.

They are a good and stable product for the price.
They work well for what they do, yes, support does stink and they occasionally have problems, but then so does everything else in this world. For their price they are well worth it.

Erik

I'm a "Blue Box" fan myself. I run a BEFSR41 at home. Bought it, plugged it in, hooked it up.. and it's been working for over three years now without a problem.

DakotaDuce

I too have been using a linksys router for years without any problems that couldn't be overcome or corrected with a simple reboot of my pc or the router. Just remember DON'T unplug or replug a live network cable into the router when it's on! You can get away with this a 1000 times...did this myself and was rewarded with a blown socket on the router. Good news is I still use it to this very day...very dependable!

However, I just setup a friends network using a D-Link D-704. Like my Linksys, very easy setup, took only minutes and is easy to understand and setup it's features (D-704 has many more features though). Has a built-in print server...my Linksys doesn't! It was half the cost of my Linksys. But as for reliablity, can't answer that as it's only a month old compared to my 3 year old Linksys router.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back