Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linksys VPN to NETGEAR FVS318

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2003
US
I have seen other posts here concerning this type of connection but none that have offered the help I need to solve my problem. I have been struggling with this all day and I am tired and frustrated.

I have set up a NETGEAR FVS318 firewall on a cable connection to the internet in an office. At home I have a cable connection with a Linksys router. I purchased a copy of SoftRemote and configured the VPN connection. I am able to connect to the VPN at the office but cannot see anything on the remote network except the router. I can not see any PC's in Network neighborhood. Nor can I ping anything on the remote network except the internal gateway.

The NETGEAR VPN connection is configured to pass NETBIOS. My PC on the LinkSys is on the DMZ (I don't know if this is necessary) with Zone Alarm Firewall protecting it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First I would disable Zonealarm while testing. You cannot ping the remote LAN by IP either? The remote gateway you can ping, are you pinging it's public interface or it's private?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Are you running a Domain on either side? I had similar issues, and managed to get them resolved.

TMike,
Thanks for your reply. I got this problem resolved a long time ago. I ended up called NetGear for a resolution.

If you don't mind what was the resolution?

As of tonight, I can VPN into my Netgear FVM318 and I have netbios enabled but I can't browse the network behind the VPN endpoint. I'm using Softnet's client also.

TIA!!

crabjoe,
I was able to get it to work with SoftRemote. I can e-mail a solution to you if you like. It would otherwise make for a very long post. If you have an ftp site, I can place the solution there for you.

jaselectricman

jaselectricman,

Please send me your solution to browsing the Network Neighborhood. webster@speakeasy.org

Please send me your resolution that allows you to access network clients behind the VPN router. dcollins@ecorpnet.com

Thanks,
DC

Please send me your resolution that allows you to access network clients behind the VPN router. gareid@adelphia.net

Please send me a copy of that resolution if you would!

It seems like some people are having a problem with it. You might want to just go ahead and post it!

Thanks

goatee@twcny.rr.com

First of all I think the resolution that I found needs a little clarification. What I have documented does NOT illustrate how to browse for computers through the "Network Neighborhood" or "My Network Places" as I have not figured out a way to pass NetBIOS from behind the FVS318 to my remote PC behind a LinkSys router.

What I have documented is how to successfully set up a VPN connection using the FVS318 at the office and using the SoftRemote VPN client. To overcome my inability to browse the office network I edited my hosts table and used the "Net Use" command to connect to PC's behind the FVS318 from home. Once the connection is established it can be accessed by creating a connection to it through the "hood".

I would be happy to post the solution here but there does not seem to be an option for attachments on the forum. I will set up an FTP site on my linux box for public access and post the solution there shortly.

I have been told by others with whom I have communicated through this forum that NetBIOS will pass successfully with a LAN to LAN VPN connection using 2 FVS318's. I have not had the opportunity to test that.

Excellent. I will look for the FTP info. I can't even get the pinging to work going from an XP client (using Saferemote) through a NAT router on the client side over a VPN tunnel to an FVM318 protected network. I can ping the router once the VPN is established, but I can't get past that point. If I can get to a server behind the firewall with a ping, then I know I can get to what I need.

I can though, go straight through the internet on the client side and connect and see shares and so forth over the VPN. Very annoying......

Thanks jasman....I appreciate any input.

OK everyone. The ftp address is as follows:
ftp://jascnes.dyndns.org
Login: guestftp
Password: Qb77yTp

The site may not always be accessible. I will leave it up tonight but after this evening it won't be available again until Monday evening. Sorry about that but until I get a permanent ftp site set up, this is the best I can do.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back