Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys to Linksys VPN - PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

asya1

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
US
I am trying to set up a connection from my office and the home of 1 of our salespeople. We are using 2 linksys vpn routers.

The configuration screens for both routers say the tunnel is connected and I can see the connection and keep alive messages in the vpn tunnel log. However he can't ping anything on our network over here and I can't ping the internal ip of his router (I can ping the external ip).

We also can't get any of his mapped drives to connect.

When he was in the office last we set up an account for him on the domain and mapped the network drives using //192.168.0.x/sharename and they all worked fine.

The office uses the 192.168.0.x subnet with 255.255.255.0 as the mask and he uses 192.168.1.x with 255.255.255.0 at home.

He doesn't get any authentication errors or anything just request timed outs on pings and network resource could not be found when trying to map a drive in windows explorer and using net use.

The last time I set up a router to router VPN everything just worked once the connection was established. I'm not sure what I can be doing wrong here. Because I have done this before I'm kind of expected to have this working ASAP but I'm stumped. Please offer any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,
Marjorie

What Linkys, if WRV54G change them to BEFVP41/BEFSX41.

HI markku, do you think this set up will work?

Internet (DSL Modem)
|
|
LinksysBEFVP41 (As VPN Server)
|
|
PC ROUTER with WIN2k
2NIC as Internet Sharing
Norton Internet Security as Firewall
|
|
Switch - Distributed to Users

The reason for using BEFVP41 is because it is cheaper than making my PC ROUTER as VPN Server, I have to upgrade to WINDOWS SERVER OS.

it is cheaper than making my PC ROUTER as VPN Server, I have to upgrade to WINDOWS SERVER OS.

Nope, you don't . . . if you only need one inbound connection. That is really the only limitation, only one connection. See thread463-691606 if that is of any interest.

Hi Rezeldazel,

If you use BEFVP41 as a VPN-server, firewall and internet connection sharing you can remove PC router completely from the picture.

Just connect the users directly to VP41 via switch.

Linksys BEFSX41 at the office and WRV54G in the home.

We don't have the option to get rid of the WRV54G as we just bought it and are a very small company. Like I said we get a connection fine just for some reason we can't do anything once we have it.

Marjorie

The firmware of WRV54G is still under the construction, specially the VPN-part. Change it to another BEFSX41 and WAP54G. You should get some change back.

mhkwood, I need a vpn server that can accept incoming connections from branch office and remote users.

The reason why I need to maintain my PC as an Internet Sharing and firewall is because of the Software Installed to it like Winproxy-it can give access limitations to internet users. Also Norton Internet Security-which can block unwanted websites, spams and can remove virus from incoming emails.

The same reason why I want a separate VPN router is because these softwares (Winproxy & NIS)does not want to cooperate with the Windows2k Server.

Can you help me find a better solution?

Regards.

markku, does BEFVP41 supports PDC authentication. My PDC is windows2k Server. Will my remote clients use their own PDC account (username and pass on LAN)?

Yes, you can login to your PDC via VPN. You just need to edit the LMHOSTS-file of the remote users.

If you want to keep your existing Proxy, you need to install VP41 in parallel with your existing gateway as a secondary gateway and perform static routing for your remote networks in main gateway=proxy. You also need another WAN IP for Linky.

Complicated, remove your proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back