Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys RV082 Dual WAN Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

webuser

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
US
Does anyone have experience with this device? The dual WAN ports are meant to allow redundancy so that if a WAN port goes down, users can get to the Internet on WAN port 2. But what I am trying to accomplish is the reverse. In other words, we are hosting a web site on the LAN side of the router. I want to make sure that the Internet can get to the web site even if one of the WAN ports go down...

If anyone has configured something similar, please let me know.

You mean coming from the net you want the redundancy.....ok. Well, configure port forwarding for the second IP address to port 80 of the LAM IP and it should work just fine. Just make sure that your DNS is set up to handle it.

Thanks. For some reason though, I'm not even able to ping the WAN 2 port from the outside. I can ping the WAN 1 port fine. And I can ping all the way to the DSL router (off of WAN 2), but not the actual WAN 2 interface on the RV082. (and I have 'Block WAN requests' disabled)

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

yeah, that is because your default outside gateway is wan port one. Try unplugging your WAN 1 and then seeing if the gateway routing changes.

Are you saying that I can't use both WAN ports at the same time from the outside? That might not be the end of the world, but it would be nice...In other words, if I can get to the web site from either WAN port, even if port 1 is up...

I spoke to Linksys. They said I may experience intermittent problems b/c I have my RV082's WAN2 connected to my DSL providers router and my WAN1 connected to my T1 providers router. They said they do not support a configuration where there are routers in front of the RV082. How am I supposed to connect the RV082 directly to DSL? There is no phone port on the RV082?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Well in the case of DSL you don't require a "router" persay in front you can simply have a DSL modem which is connected directly to the device and then you configure your credentials for the dsl on the device..

The T1 you will have to have a router since you can not plug a T1 connection directly into the RAV since it doesnt support DSU connectivity.

I spoke to Linksys again. They are now saying that they DO support the RV connected to the DSL modem but not the T1, whether or not I connect to a router or not. I was wondering though, if I got a CSU/DSU, could I then connect the RV082 to it. Linksys says they do not support that config, but...

Also, I would like to know tehnically, why does it matter what the RV082 is connected to? Doesn't it just work on the IP level? Why is it important to the router if it connects to a T1, DSL, cable or an intermediary router???

Thanks again

I agree, it shouldn't matter whether you're connecting to a T1 or a cable modem or a DLS modem... it's all Ethernet to the device. I'm not hands-on familiar with the device myself, but it would appear to me that how it handles outbound traffic would be different than how it handles inbound traffic. Did you see what happens when you unplug the WAN1 interface? Did the default route change (on the router) to reflect the router connected to WAN2?

Didn't try that. I'll try it and let you know. Thanks for your response.

WAN 2 is not enabled when you are in backup mode. You have to be in load balance mode then you can ping it.
But..... I have never be able to run it in load balance mode for more than an hour or 2. After an hour, it hangs and no access from either WAN side or LAN side. You have to power cycle the whole router to reset it.

When it is in load balance mode, it cause all kind of problems to AIM and MSN clients since it appears the connection is coming from a different IP. The new service binding feature in 1.1.5 rev software helps but it will still hangs after hour.

It doesn;t matter what it is connected to. We have one connected to a T1 router and the other to a cable modem and it works fine, for an hour.

Eric

Thanks! Yeah, we pretty much gave up on this solution, and are using it as just another router...Thnaks for backing up our decision.

Oren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back