Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys RT31P2 router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TudorP

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2002
US
Hey everyone -
I bought this device from Vonage in order to do VOIP. I already had a router from SMC so I wanted to plug the RT31P2 into an existing port on the SMC.
Well - the phone works OK, but computers plugged in the Linksys cannot access the internet.

Does anyone know how to configure the freaking thing so that the setup above will work?

BTW - their email tech support is a joke. I explained the problem and they sent me a boiler plate answer about plugging my computer in the cable modem and checking that all the little lights go green when powering on their devices :)

Bcastner -
the problem I ran into using the setup you described is that the PHONE connection on the Linksys will no longer work.
I looked as if the phone can connect to the Vonage server ONLY using the WAN port.

This particular Linksys does not have a dedicated uplink port, hence I used a cross over. It also does not allow you to change the config from gateway to router. The FW used is Vonage proprietary and there is no other version available on the Linksys site.
Can you see the conundrum now?

Yes.
My apologies.
It does seem silly, and I understand your frustration.

Well folks - it would seem that I have found a working configuration. Some of the settings I used, go against some of the adviced suggested here and in other posts. This could be due to my unique combination of SMC / Linksys.
Please take this post "as is".
SMC
WAN: DHCP (gets IP from modem. Make a note of the DNS server IP's!!)
LAN: DHCP (it gives IPs to the devices hooked up on the LAN ports on subnet x.x.2.1)
Linksys
WAN:
Static IP x.x.2.5 / Gateway x.x.2.1 / DNS info from above
LAN:
DHCP (it gives IPs to the devices hooked up on the LAN ports on subnet x.x.1.1)
NAT is enabled (NOTE it did not work when I disabled it)
thank you all for your help
TP

BTW - I am using the WAN port on the Linksys for the uplink.
That was the only way to get the phone working. However, using the configuration above, I am also able to access the internet using a computer plugged in the LAN port of the Linksys...
TP

Thanks for keeping the Forum notified.
I am giving your contribution a star.
It is ugly, but it works.

Best wishes,
Bill

I have two routers. One is the phone
(Linksys RT31P2 router) and the other
is my main router (big ass metal Netgear box) which is very reliable and which I love dearly.

I have managed to put my Linksys inside the firewall.
Here's how I did it.

Old Netgear Router is the master.
IP: 192.168.0.1
DHCP enabled: 192.168.0.5 -> ...
WAN dynamic IP

DMZ = 192.168.0.2

New Linksys Router is the slave
IP: 192.168.0.2
DHCP: disabled
WAN static IP: 192.168.0.2
netmask: 255.255.255.128

only the phone plugs into Linksys, the rest go through Netgear. The Linksys isconnect to Netgear through
the WAN port (otherwise the phone won't work)

There is port forwarding in the Netgear to various
services such as ssh and Apache on one machine.

I don't know if I actually needed to set 192.168.0.2 as the DMZ but I figured that the phone would need two way connections over pretty much any port.

All this actually works.

Here's what works and does not work for me:

Original config tried in vain:

WAN -> DSL Modem -> (wan) Linux FW (lan) -> Linksys EZXS55W Switch -> (wan) Linksys RT31P2 Broadband/Phone Router -> phone line (lan ports not used)

After much troubleshooting I found that the RT31P2 cannot communicate through the EZXS55W Switch when plugged directly to it, either via a straight or crossover cable. However if I insert another switch (LAN side of a D-Link DI-624) between the two Linksys devices, the data flows. Go figure.

The config I'm using:

WAN -> DSL Modem -> (wan) Linux FW (lan) -> (lan) D-Link DI-624 (lan) -> (wan) Linksys RT31P2 -> phone line (lan ports not used)

Note that I found that the RT31P2 worked the same both with crossover and straight cables.

HTH someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back