Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Router with Zyxel DSL Modem- Port Forwarding & More 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggieingenuity

Technical User
Sep 7, 2003
US
I could really use some help on this one- I am stumped and TXU Communications doesn't support "advanced features" for their DSL service.

Here are the components I am working with:

(2) Computers- Both running Windows XP with 3M NICS
(1) Zyxel DSL Modem- Model Number: 645M
(1) Linksys 4 Port Router- Model Number: BEFSR1 ver. 2

Here is the problem:

My original intention was to get the zyxel modem up and running without the router on one local machine to make sure everything was working alright. I figured it would be best to keep it as simple as problem to avoid trouble. No problem on getting setup and on the net, but problems arose when I tried to have Port 80 and 25 forwarded to my local machine. On a previous setup (cable modem) it was simply a matter of accessing the linksys menu via a browser window and forwarding the ports. Now, with the new system, and a DSL Modem that acts a whole lot like a router (it assigns an IP to my local machine, has settings I can change, I can telnet into it, etc. etc.) I CAN NOT seem to get the ports forwarded over. I have changed everything I can think of, even followed another link I found on this site:
Still, can't seem to get it to work. What's more, after doing some of the things in the above post, I can no longer access my linksys router via the web interface.

More so than anything I really need to get port forwarding set up- without it, my "main" email is down and my web site is completely useless. After that is done, I will work on getting the router set up. But, from what I read on here, getting the router set up correctly might fix the first problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance-
Cody

I am assuming you set the linksys default IP adddress to 192.168.2.1 as suggested in the post you linked.

Set your workstation IP to 192.168.2.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.2.1, and then you can access the linksys with your browser by type in the address bar.

In the alternative, reset the browser back to its factory settings by holding the reset button in until the red diag lite comes on, all the routers lights flash, and the red diag light goes off. Power off the router for 30 seconds and then restore power.

Your computer should then be set to obtain an Ip address automaticly for its TCP/IP properties. Do an ipconfig /release and then and ipconfig /renew and you can access the router through its default settings.

This now brings you back to your original problem. The modem you have is a NAT router. You might consider disabling DHCP and selecting under Advanced, Routing placing the linksys in router and not Gateway mode. The modem connection would then be through the uplink port and not the WAN port on the linksys. See a discussion about using two routers in Tom's Hardware Guide:

Hi BCastner,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Sorry the reponse has been delayed but I haven't had time to work on the network since the week started. Here is where I am at now:

I reset the modem as per your instructions, but haven't put it back into the network yet. I have, however read the link on Tom's Hardware Website and plan to bypass the routing in the linksys once I get the modem configured properly.

Quick Question:
Is there a way to use the Zyxel modem as the router and the modem? I.E. just have the two computers networked off of it alone with no Linksys and no switch?

I have since also learned that my mail server AND my web servers ARE indeed accesible from the outside world. However, in order to access them here at home, I have to put the address in the format : etc etc. I can't, however log onto like I can from the "outside world" say... at work. Also, when I send mail it doesn't get delivered. I get a message saying I "couldn't connect to the destination mail server." For some reason my SMTP server can't get out from behind my router. I contacted Zyxel customer service and they told me to remove any filters that might be in menu 11.1, but after I did that it still didn't work.

Thanks so much in advance for your help- any suggestions or solutions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Cody

Q1. You could use ICS by adding a second adapter, but without question I would use the switch functions, at a minimum, of the Linksys rather than this alternative.

SMTP issue. It sounds like a filter/firewall issue. Many SMTP servers require you to permit an IGMP recognition/registration function to send mail. It sounds like this is being blocked.

The other possibility is that you are failing authentication. Ask your ISP if authentication for the username and password are required of the mail server.

Hi Bcastner,

I agree I think I'll stick with the Linksys. I am under the assumption that the SMTP server is my actual box here beside my desk. Is that a correct assumption? Also, I am afraid I don't know what at IGMP recognition/registration function is... :-/ Could you explain?

I did ask my ISP if they required authentication on the mail server and he said yes. Is it possible I can authenticate with my ISP logon information to send my email of my box?

Thanks again...

The SMTP server is run by your ISP.

Your mail client under the account information should have a space for you to enter your username (likely your email account), a password, and a checkbox for "This server requres authentication."

None of these require entries on the Linksys. all of this information would be put into the Account information of your email client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back