Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linksys router problem or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackproof

Programmer
Feb 29, 2004
PH
im having some problem with our internet connection, it seems it gets cut off when every computer in our network browsing the internet or downloading a file at the same time. we have about 20 computers in our network including our server and the bandwidth that our connection is about 716kps, i think that ok for a 20 computers but it still cuts off from time to time. i have asked someone to look at our network setup and it seems that the problem may be our router coz its only used for home and not office. our router is linksys router model BEFSR11, they say that connection chokes everytime all of us use the internet connection. so i have to replace this router or am i just gonna use a proxy server in our network?? which is better??

What type of internet connection are you using? Dedicated line, aDSL, Cable?

It doesnt sound like the router due to no limitations set in a router to allow limited amount of connections. It sounds like your circuit is to small.

Are you sure your getting all 716Kbps?

You may want to get a dedicated T1 circuit with a Cisco router that can handle the circuit.

our internet connection used aDSL and were getting 716Kbps, more or less from time to time. is there another alternative way to solve this coz having to install a dedicated T1 connection is very expensive for our company and i dont think our boss would allow it.

How about a dual ISP router and connect either two aDSL connections or 1DSL/1Cable to the router to share the badnwidth and also for redundancy. If the DSL goes down chances are the cable will still run. Also you will be load balancing over the two connections.

Right well as to the router the old Linksys routers can disconnect by themselves occasionally, fixed by modern firmwares. That could be it.

Matthew

Family motto: Curvus, non infractus.
The Universe: God's novelty screensaver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back