Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Router open ports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiserweight

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2002
KH
i just did a scan of my linksys befsr11 from the inside and got this:

* + 192.168.1.1 [Unknown]
|___ 80 World Wide Web HTTP
|___ HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required.. Basic realm="Linksys BEFSR41/BEFSR11/BEFSRU31"..Content-type: text/html.
|___ 2468
|___ 5678 Remote Replication Agent Connection
|___ 6688

80 is the web page config thing, but does anyone know what and WHY these other ports are open? thanks in advance.

Cruiserweight,
This port is open only to your 192.168 interval network. Which is there because it's the only way you can manage your router.

from op,

thanks. i am a super newbie with a rabid paranoia streak. i have scanned the linky twice since and found only 80 and 5678 open. perhaps it is possible i caught the router in the process of talking to my machine or some other similar transaction? no vpn. remote management off. But,

What is Remote Replication Agent Connection???????

my paranoia does not allow me to Assume it's harmless and forget about it. I want to know. And if you guys can help, it would be MUCH appreciated.

thanks again

Port 5678 on the linksys router is a secondary remote administration port that cannot be closed. It is open even if you disable remote management. However, it's only accessible from INSIDE your network, not outside.

I had given Stingreen a star for this post as I have found the same problem and started the following thread:

thread83-477581

good info great site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back