Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys router and XP using Messenger 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantwellt

Technical User
May 28, 2000
US
I read the info on how some items in messenger i.e. receiving files and audio/video don't work because of NAT. Is there a convenient way of moving out from behind the firewall and back during a session? Do you know of a better way to keep security going and still use messenger and all it's features?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Before you change anything, I was just looking for a little clarification.

What are the internal ip addresses of all the computers on your network and how do they get those addresses. Also, which one is the one that you're trying to use messenger with?

the one I'm tring to get messenger to work with is 192.168.1.102

DesiRomeo,

Since you've got the latest firmware, try these two things:

1. Enable UPnP on your router and on the machine.
2. Switch the IP address of the machine to static and use a number outside of your DHCP range. I think this is what smah was getting at. If your DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 - 150, then use a number like 192.168.1.20. I remember reading somewhere [don't remember where] that forwarding and DHCP don't play well together.

Hope that helps. [yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

Like you TheOldMan346, I am sure I have read somewhere in the Linksys literature that using port forwarding does NOT work with DHCP activated on the router. Try disabling DHCP, just assign each machine a static IP, and then use port forwarding.

ok i need help also i have a linksys broadband dsl /cable router with my cable modem i can not host anything i am running windows xp and have three comps linked to it and none of them can host nothing not web cam nor roger wilco or battle net if i take the router out of line i can host anything can any one help me please :O)

You will need to forward the appropriate ports to the appropriate computer. If you want more assistance with this, I suggest that you start a new thread instead of starting over with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back