Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys router and XP using Messenger 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantwellt

Technical User
May 28, 2000
US
I read the info on how some items in messenger i.e. receiving files and audio/video don't work because of NAT. Is there a convenient way of moving out from behind the firewall and back during a session? Do you know of a better way to keep security going and still use messenger and all it's features?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank You! I'll give this a shot tonight when I get home. This may well be the answer to my problem. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Hey! I have an answer for you....

Plug your pc into port 4 on the router and go into the router configuration page and go to the Advanced Tab and click on the DMZ Host tab and enter in the IP address assigned to that computer plugged into port 4, then apply the setting. this will open a port for that workstation only and keep all other ports protected...you will be able to use audio/video thru msn this way

If you don't want the port to be opened and the firewall let down...then don't enter in the ip in the setting for the dmz host.

***note...this will only work in port #4 *ducks and hides* "don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!"

Well, I still had not tried the idea that TheOldMan346 gave me but I'll sure give these a try this weekend. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and as luck would have it, the computer I wish to do this with is already plugged into port 4! I really appreciate the help guys!

First off
DMZ forwards all requests of all port from the internet to your machine. This is not safe because it basically leaves your computer completely open to hackers.

I assume that you are talking about MSN messenger.
In your configuration page for the linksys, there is a tab that says Forwarding. This may be found after selecting the Advanced tab (depending on the router model).

To enable voice communication, forward TCP port 6901 to your computer's IP.
To enable file transfers, forward TCP ports 6891-6900. This allows for up to 10 simultaneous file transfers.
Also, forward TCP port 1863. This is the port that messenging uses.

Also, according to the link from TheOldMan, the person enabled PPTP and IPsec on the the Filters tab. You most likely do not need to do this. These are for remote access only.

Let me know how this works out

I have done this myself and as have many of my colleagues...and the deal is that yes it is open on that port...but the other ports are not open...only port 4...as long as you are okay with this then go ahead... *ducks and hides* "don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!"

dslqueen,

Putting the IP address into the DMZ opens ALL ports on that machine to the internet. Port forwarding will open specific ports to specific IP addresses. You are confusing the port on the switch with the TCP/IP ports [completely different animals] that need to be opened to allow MSN Messenger to work behing the NAT firewall.

The Old Man

lol maybe i am confused...but i thought i was trying to say that if you have a four port router then port 4 on the router was exposed but not the other three...please correct me if i am wrong... *ducks and hides* "don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!"

The computer that is exposed to the via DMZ is determine by IP address, not the port on the back of the linksys router.
If you set the computer to be exposed to 192.168.1.1, then it can be attached to any port on the router and still be the one exposed. The router doesn't distinguish a computer by the port that it is attached to.

you are right...i was misunderstanding what he said, so then if you set the dmz to 192.168.1.104 persay...then that machine is the one that is exposed am i correct? because that is the computers ip address? *ducks and hides* "don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!"

correct, you just need to have the IP of the DMZ and the IP of the machine to match.

Just be cautious of the material on the machine if you choose to use the DMZ function. I setup a remote access server as a DMZ host and found that it was receiving requests by online viruses. I changed to port forwarding and used a search engine to determine exactly what ports I would need to forward for my particular VPN type.

hey guys I'm still having the problem sending/recieving files with MSN Messenger I've got the latest firmware for my BEFSR41 this is what I've done.

Setup - Forwarding - EXT port 6891 to 6900 Protocol TCP IP address 192.168.1.102 enabled

--next line--

Ext Port 1862 to 1864 Protocol TCP IP address 192.168.1.102

Then I clicked apply I have feeling I'm missing something that would be great if someone could help

DesiRomeo,

If you've got firmware version > 1.40 you need to forward
[tt]
1863 TCP/UDP
5190 UDP
6891-6900 TCP
6901 TCP/UDP
[/tt]

Hope tyhat helps.
The Old Man

I tried that still no luck I went to the advance port rang forwarding

Ext.Port 1863 To 1863 Protocol TCP Protocol
UDP Ip address is 192.168.1.102 and it's enabled
same thing for 6901 - 6901 and Port6891 - 6900 is only TCP and 5190 - 5190 is UDP is that the right screen

DesiRomeo,

Yes, that sounds right. It should look like this:
LinkyFwd.jpg

I don't use Messenger myself so not sure where it is going wrong. Check around in the forums at
also. Look here and do a search for "messenger". You may need to add/enable the UPnP also.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.
The Old Man

Thanks for the help old man. I'll check out those sites and see if they help at all because my setting are exactly how you have them set.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see it specifically stated in this thread:

DesiRomeo, you said earlier that you're forwarding the ports that have been mentioned to 192.168.1.102. The pc that your trying to do this with does have a static ip of 192.168.1.102, right?

By the way, 192.168.1.102 falls into the default DHCP range. If your going to use this address either:

a)change the default range of DHCP clients
b)don't use DHCP
c)use a different address outside of the DHCP range

smah: sorry I'm a little slow here I'm not too sure what you mean. you want me to change my ip address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back