Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys DSL Router & Pacbell DSL with dynamic IP addressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cochice

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
How can I set up a LAN with the above? Or is it possible?

yes, it is possible. I have not done it myself, however I have seen it. The linksys router
obviously will be connected to your LAN possibly running DHCP, and the WAN conection to the DSL. To verify the dsl, install it directly to a pc and run winpoet 2.0 . You will need to know the login username and password . ( This setting will also be needed in the linksys router as well to authenticate ). Good Luck !!! #-)

The Linksys 4 port DSL router is also a DHCP server.
You don't want to install Winpoet or Enternet 300 if using the router. If either is installed you need to uninstall it. The steps to setting up your LAN with the Linksys 4 port router are:
1. Connect your DSL modem to the WAN port on the router.
2. Connect a cable from the ethernet port on each PC to a
LAN port on the back of the router.
3. Run the router's configuration utility with your web
browser (the manual contains easy to follow
instructions for this)
4. Make sure all computers have TCP/IP installed and are
configured to "obtain an IP address automatically".
5. Reboot all computers on your LAN.

In the configuration stage you will have entered the username and password supplied by PacBell and your router will handle all authentication automatically. All that's left for you to do is surf the net.

Don't you have to configure the gateway to talk to the authentication server for the account? I have SWBell. My DSL modem is working and now I want to add a DSL router.

But you are saying to uninstall the Enternet 300 software? How will the ISP server be contacted?

rdish41,

Okay, just read your entry from the other post I have. You wrote:

"I'm going to try and lay it out as simply as possible. (1) connect your DSL modem to the WAN port on the router. (2) connect the only remaining port on the router to a port on your hub. (3) connect the remaining ports on your hub to network cards in the computers. (4) use the browser on any of your computers to access the router and enter your username and password supplied by SW Bell. The router will now handle all authentication and there is no need to install Enternet 300 or Winpoet on any of the computers.(this is a good thing) (5) Make sure you have TCP/IP installed on all computers."

So, am I better off with the 4 port or will the functionality be just as good with the 1 port and the existing Netgear hub I have?

The only difference is the number of computers that can be connected.

Nevermind - I ordered the 4 port BEFSR41.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back