Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Cable/DSL Router + Workgroup Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a Linksys 4-port Cable/DSL Router that works just fine. I've had it working for several months.

I now need to connect more machines to my network, so I got a 16-port Workgroup Switch. I connected out of the router's uplink port and into a numbered port on the switch.

No internet access for all the machines connected to the switch.

I believe the problem has to do with DHCP, as the computers connected to the switch can see each other -- they just can't get an IP address via DHCP.

Please advise -- thanks.

Go into your Linksys Router by typing into your internet browser and then go to the DHCP tab. Make sure it's enabled(if you want it turned on) and and don't forget to put the number of computers that you want to receive IP address for. Hit aply and then continue.

You might have to reboot the computers (I'm not sure) to get their IP addresses.

Let me know if this helped at all.

This may not apply depending on the router you have, but...

Do you have a cable connected to the port next to the uplink? They are often shared, and only one can be used at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back