Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFVP41 VPN problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottCudmore

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
Hi,
I just purchased the new Linksys VPN router. I want to be able to connect to my home network from a remote Windows 2000 machine. There are no stpes or docs on how do do this. Only Linksys to Linksys VPN. When I connect from a Windows VPN conenction, all I get is an error on the Linksys.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Scott

Hello Navaldis,

I have tried using the BEFVP as router besides VPN and I was not succeed either.
I dont't know if Markku is not still understanding you, because in my case is not possible using 2 tunnels.
I have the problem as follow:

10.15.0.0/16
|
|
|
________|_________
| |
| Router |
Main Site |_________________|
|
| 192.168.168.0/24
|
________|_________
| |
| BEFVP Main |
|_________________|
|
| Cable Network (Valid IP)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
________|_________
| |
| BEFVP Local |
|_________________|
|
|
|
192.168.4.0/24

As Navaldis said, my VPN is dandy and I can ping between the networks 192.168.168.0 and 192.168.4.0. I tried to ping hosts in network 10.15.0.0 from 192.168.4.0 and vice versa but I was not succeed. I put static routes in order to advertise the way for packets with source and destination 10.15.0.0/16 but no way.
I have contacted the distributor technical assistance but they didn't contact me yet.

I'd like to thank Markku in advance, for trying to help us.

Rgs

Robson

I've been tryimg to connect my home computer (XP running SSH Sentinel) to my office network (Peer-to-Peer using the LINKSYS BEFVP Router). I can create the VPN tunnel everytime, but like most people, cannot browse network. Will this even be possible, or do we need a server behind the router?

Rudy

Hi cbola2,

Looks bad.

Almost only chance is to replace the units with SonicWALL or similar more advanced VPN-product, since they support multiple trusted subnets through one VPN-tunnel. Linky supports only one subnet/tunnel.

It seems that static routing in Linky has nothing to do with VPN, which means that VPN rules have priority over any other rules.

An educated guess is to try to establish another parallel tunnel for 10.15.0.0/16 -network between Linkys with different parameters. The tunnels seem to be quite independent of each other in Linky.

Markku,

That sounds interesting.

I'm going to try doing that. The only problem is the network mask that is limited in /24 at the local secure group configuration.

I will let you know about the results.

Thanks

Robson

Looks like I'm going to have to look at the SonicWALL or other such device for certain locations.

The Linksys certainly will do the job for some of our smaller locations in which it is not necessary to "see" the other subnets.

Thanks to all who replied and please keep us informed of any success with the VP41. It's a nice device I just believe that it falls short in it's inability to route between subnets through the VPN tunnel. This limitation on the device will certainly keep the device at the entry level of the market.

Cheers!

N

I found the only way to make it work was to be sure that the PCs on both ends are pointing to their respective Linksys boxes as their default gateways.

Now it works great. Pinging, browsing... sweet.

I have 2 Linksys VPN Routers one at home and one in the office. The office connection is on a server with a domain name. The home computer is a standalone witha workgroup. I get the Linksys to create the tunnel but I can't see the office in the network neighborhood in W2K. any thoughts as to why this is and what I can do about it?

Harrydemo, You need to find out the ip address of the server your trying to communicate with and enter it in the search for computers window (right click on My Network Places)on the home pc. This should find the proper server and then you can set up your shares making sure the home user has permission on the work server. Good Luck

Install WINS service into target private LAN and configure WINS ip address into TCP/IP settings of that network connection profile (LAN, dial-up, PPPoE, ...) used by your VPN client. That helps for browsing MS networks. WINS service may be NT 4.0 or Win2k server, or a *nix based Samba daemon.

Hi, I'm hoping that someone has an idea what is going on with my Linksys VPN problems. I have a setup with 2 BEFVP41's. One is connected via an Ameritech ppoe DSL modem to Remote Lan 1. The other is sitting behind a Cisco Router + T1 frame relay on our Local Lan. The two Linksys boxes can connect and establish a VPN tunnel. I can ping and even open up folders etc. on the remote computers. However..... when I try to copy a large binary file it just doesn't work at all. I tried all the different security settings. No encryption and no Authentication seems to work a bit better. I can now copy a file but it arrives corrupted.
Called Tech Support. What a joke. They keep telling me to change the MTU setting. Of course this does not help at all.

So here I am, pulling my hair out. The routers "almost work". Without encryption and authentication I can transfer text files, browse other computers. Everything seems to be fine. Large Binary files still get corrupted.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks

Great markku!

Your idea was a success!!

Now, the subnets conected by BEFVP41's can see each other. And it's working fine. As you said, the number of subnets is limited according with their 70 tunnels.
The configuration of tunnels is not enough. I had to configure the static routing to have the subnets working.

Navaldis, try doing that. Maybe your problem is finished.

Thank you very much.

Robson

Hi Robson,

Nice to hear about your success. Can you pls be more specific about static routing you perfomed?

try setting your protocol to ANY rather than ipsec if still problem occurs in hegotiating ipsec in any endpoint or winxp or win2k be sure that u have configure correctly your ipsec configuration at the other end

I have installed (2) BEFVP41 routers; one on the office network and one at home. After configuring the VPN settings the status showed "connected" yet I am unable to ping either router from the opposite end. Any ideas?

I have installed (2) BEFVP41 routers; one on the office network and one at home. After configuring the VPN settings the status showed "connected" yet I am unable to ping either router from the opposite end. Any ideas?

Dale123: I have installed 2 routers too. Once connected I can ping the computers and the BEFVP box. I hope you are pinging the local LAN address: 192.168.xxx.xxx of the remote machine and not the internet IP address.
I suggest you try 'ping -t 192.168.xxx.xxx' command.

Markku

I configured static routing in the BEFVP box located at main site where I have a router with others subnets connected to it. In addition, I configured a tunnel for each subnet behind this router besides of configuring static routing.

Regards

Robson

To all

Just registered another BEFSR41 and the latest firmware update is 1.42.7. Says New enhanced security firmware that recognises and works with ZoneAlarm Pro; has UPnP Support.

On July 24 Guest Paul says he's found the latest firmware to be 1.42.7. Today on July 26 at I only see Version 1.40.3. Can someone tell me where to find 1.42.7? Also, has anyone worked with version 1.42.7 and found that it seems to be solid? Glad to see the UPnP support, if it works. Does this mean that all features of Windows Messenger will now work automatically? Lets see. . .

Thanks in advance.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back