Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys befvp41 and IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deonroman

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
US
Quick question. If I want to connect from home to my Linksys befvp41 router at the office, do I need to have a static IP address at home? And if so, would using another linksys router at home if this problem. Thanks.

No,

Dynamic at home is OK.

Use another Linky if you have more macines at home.

Use SSH Sentinel if you have only one.

Thanks Markku,

Is there a way that you can connect using Win XP pro vpn software at home?

That is a link that describes how to set it up. It works, for I have used it. But be forewarned, it is not very "user friendly" and run the GPUPDATE from the command line after you have assigned your policy...
You will have to copy and paste the link...

Thanks,

Matt Wray

Thanks Mattwray,

I will give it a try. When you have used it did you have a dynamic IP on the home connection?

Yes. I have a router at home handing out IPs via DHCP. Since I only have 2 machines on it, they always get the same lease. If your machine's IP changes a lot, you will have to edit the tunnel settings of the policy you will create. It is not difficult...

Thanks,

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back