Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR41 - extending the range of the unit. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashingPCs

IS-IT--Management
Jan 1, 2003
US
An idea! Would this work?

Using amateur radio antenna formulas, calculate the length
of coax needed. (most likely RG58) to the 2.4 Mhz frequency (for signal loss). Terminate with RP-TNC connectors. Run the coax in oppisite directions above ceiling tile of school taking care to stear clear of lighting (noise). At each end use an RP-TNC barrel connector and fashion a mounting plate of plastic with the barrel connector through a hole in the plastic plate and ceiling tile. Connect the ends of the coax to the barrel connectors and the original antenna's of the Linksys router on the exposed side of the ceiling tile.

Concerns! Signal or db loss (this could be taken care of with the Linksys WSB24 Wireless Signal Booster)
We only want to extend the range of 3 to 4 laptops.

Question? Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone have any better ideas. Or know of any premanufactured packages that would do the same thing.

Well I can see how helpfull this place is. No donation no help. I possted back on the 2nd and have had no replies but others on the same date have up to 3 or more. Thanks all!

I would venture that most network professionals do not know much about Ham Radio?? Basically all I know is that the length of a bare wire antenna can affect the range or band of signals you can pick up.

I just took a class in Data Communications and Networking and it was not mentioned once.

Linksys planned to sell a device to increase the range of their wireless devices. They had a picture of one on their website. I think they called it a range extender.

As a side note the range of a router or Wireless Access Point (WAP) may be quite a bit larger than that of the wireless NIC card. A longer range means a higher price. I have wondered if 2 wireless routers can be networked to each other or if you can connect with a CAT-5e a second wireless access point. to improve efficiency.

If you gave us an idea of the distances involved you might be able to get some suggestions.

Try also If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I was at another site yesterday and saw an add for a Repeater for around $100.00. I cant remember where I saw the add at. Might have been on Amazon.com or somewhere. I think it was a D-Link device or one of the other Linksys competitors.

Here I found an article on it:

This might be an idea. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back