Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LINKSYS BEFSR41 and Cnet 8-port Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

changky

Technical User
Apr 20, 2003
PH
Hello!

I recently installed a Linksys BEFSR41 router to my network. My previous setup was like this:

- 8 computers
- All connected to a CNet 8-port Switch

When I installed a Linksys BEFSR41, my setup was like this:

- 1 computer connected to a standard port on the BEFSR41
- 7 computers connected to the CNet 8-port Switch.
- 1 cable from uplink port of BEFSR41 connected to a standard port of Cnet 8-port switch.

Mr problem is this. The computer connected to the BEFSR41 cannot see the computers connected to the CNet 8-port switch via network neighborhood. All computers connected to the switch can see each other, while they cannot see the one computer connected to the BEFSR41. Although, ALL computers can access the internet already.

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks!

Is the computer connected to the linksys router connected to the first LAN port? If so move it - you can't use the uplink port and port 1 at the same time.

Two possibilities:

1. The 1 computer on the Linksys is on a different subnet than the computers on the switch. This would be true if that 1 computer received DHCP from the Linksys, the 7 others were static on a different network address; or vice-versa, the 1 computer is static, the 7 are DHCP'd by the Linksys.

2. Check that Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled on the 1 computer connected to the Linksys.

Third possibility:

Two computers have the same static IP.

In the setup for the BEFSR41 change the default setting from Gateway to router.
Disable DHCP on the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back