Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys 54g router just stopped working???? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

glarior

Programmer
Aug 4, 2005
US
I have a Linksys 802.11g router and had it hooked up to share the DSL internet, files and everything worked great. I left town and came back and my aunt told me that it just quit sending the internet signal.

I thought no big deal, reset thing and it would be good to go, I was wrong.

I still can't surf the web using a computer directly connected to the router. I tried unplugging the router and still no luck. I reset the DSL, and still got nothing. Now I can't even gain acess to it using the 192.168.1.1 address which I have used so many times before. Is there a way to fix this? Could the unit have just died or do you think they might of done something and just not inform me about it?

Any suggestions

glarior

When you have your PC connected to the Linksys router are you using wireless or patch cable? If you're using wireless to connect there could have be a change in the wireless configuration that has broken the connection. If you're using a patch cable, do you have a link light? what's your IP? can you ping the linksys? If I were you, I'd confirm my PC/laptop was patched into the linksys, that I had a link light on both sides (PC and Router), hard set my PC to 192.168.1.2, If at this point I still can't access it, I'd reset the linksys to factory default. If at this point it's still not working call linksys support, if there's a flaw in the product they may replace it. Depending on how old it is.

You second issue is your DSL which you'll need to either refference you own documentation or contact the ISP to assist you there. good luck

Thanks for your input rn4it

I am using a patch cable for the router to the main PC, and then a wirless notebook card on my laptop. I get the link light when I have the patch cable connected but still do not get the web. I can share files with the router on my LAN but can't get internet anywhere unless I plug the DSL modem into the computer. I did try to ping the router and had no luck. I also tried to restore factory default but that failed. The IP of the router was 192.168.1.1 and I used that before when I set up the router but now it shows it does not exist. I have not tried to do the hard set ip on my computer to 192.168.1.2. I will try that, but what is that doing?

What gets me is it was working great till I left, and then came back and its not working now. Is it possilbe it just died?

I am trying to avoid calling the support people cause they never seem to help me on anything.

If I were to buy a new router what brand would you recomend?

Thanks for the help

glarior

I have used Linksys in the past with good luck. I currently have a Netgear and on another small network I support I have a D-Link. I think those are your 3 biggest players and probably the best bets in small/home Routers/Switch/Wiress Access Points.

Dan

I have a feeling 192.168.1.1 is not the default IP for that Linksys router. Don't have one here to check I'm afraid...

Do you not have the CD that would have come with it? Not only should that help you set it up again, but the documentation ought to give you all the defaults, IP, username, password, etc.

One last wild wild guess at a possible default IP - 192.168.1.245...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I have had problems previously with Linksys routers (not the wireless type)and have known others that had problems with that brand too. I use and recommend Netgear products. I recently had to buy my daughter a ZyXEL pcmcia card since her older Netgear dual A/B card would not connect to her new Netgear G router. The ZyXEL is one of very few cards to offer WPA (why?). No problem with the setup & getting it to connect with the Netgear router.

I use the same type of router, a combimned wired and wireles LInksys 54g. I had an issue in the past where it stopped connecting to the internet, the wired ports were dead, but I could access it over a wireless connection. I was getting status lights the whole time.

If I turned it off for a few hours, it would come back to life (a reboot wasnt enough). This would only last for between 6 hours and a day, and then happen again. The whole time though, wireless was fine, and link lights were showing, but none of the wired ports (either the 10/100 or the DSL modem port) would work.

I think there ws an issue with a part overheating, btu maybe this wasnt the case. Sounds like you have the exact same issue. I took mine back to the shop, and they changed it out after a small fight with the manager (their techy turned it on, and left it running, not wanting to exchange it untill he saw the fault himself. I wasn't waitng a day to see it happen again...... b*****d geeky college kids....).

Try it with a wireless card and see what happens then

Anyway - the moral of the story is that mine was faulty, and the replacement works fine.

And in case you need it, the default IP is 192.168.1.1, DHCP is on in default - basically should work out of the box.

I am having this exact same thing happen, and was about to start a new thread. I have a WRT54G that has worked flawlessly for about a year or so. I have my main machine wired to it, and a laptop using the WPC54G pci card. This past weekend, all of the sudden, the wireless card cannot pick up the signal or connect. I can detect neighbors networks, so I know the card is fine. The wired machine is working fine as well. Also worth noting is that the WLAN led is lit up on the router.

On the laptop, I cannot ping 192.168.1.1, which IS the IP address of the router. Nor can I hit it with a web browser, which I expected to not be able to do. I made sure to carefully write down all the settings when I first set it up, and upon verifying them, no setting on the router has changed.

It's almost as if the router just stopped transmitting. I got my stuff at Best Buy--I know they won't take it back after a year...

Ditch the Linksys. My MR814 Netgear wireless router is still working flawlessly after nearly 2 years.

For what it's worth, I contacted Linksys through their online form system. After giving them more than enough details, they basically told me to check the card, though I had deleted the default profile and entered it back in already. They also didn't seem to notice how I could pick up neighbors' networks, so the card is fine...

Yea I agree with jward52, infact I ditched linksys all together and bought a microsoft router from my friend for 20$.
At least you check with linksys, I dont deal with company support anymore, cause so far none of them have ever helped me out with any problem I have encountered. Wish ya luck on your problem but I would just ditch linksys :)

Glarior

Something to check when router is dead--the power adapter may be weak.

I had a red diag light on my wrt54G and no connection at all, it was dead but for the weak diag light. I tried all the reset things, shorting flash pins, etc, etc, and nothing. On a whim I tried another power block that happened to fit the adapter and was 5v. Everything instantly worked.

All you need is output of 5v, 1 or 2 amp (linksys rated at 2, but the one I used--an old Iomega zip--was rated at 1 amp and worked, but I'm not sure if it's enough to burn flash), and the right adapter jack. The adapter jack can be spliced in a pinch, however.
--Jim

Thanks jsteph,

I had the same problem today (12/13/05), with my Linksys wireless router and I had bought my wireless G Linkys router from Best Buy about summer of 2003, and it quit working today. However, I was for some strange reason was getting an internet signal from my next door neighbor's house. I tried to re-set my wireless router and did all I know to do to it and yet nothing was resolved. I did not bother to call the Linksys Tech support instead I followed your advise, and it sure worked out for me. I replaced the Linksys power cord of the Linksys wireless router with a another power cord with higher rating a ( 7 in 1 USB Adaptec power cord), and whala, I was able to receive excellent internet signal strength connection link and surf the net. What a relief! I was going to ditch the router and buy another one. Your advise just saved me money, now, I will have to go online or to nearby radio shark store and buy another power cord for my 7 in 1 USB Adaptec power cord, that shouldn't cost that much. I will take that route anytime. Thanks again.

I have a WRT54G as well and had problems with it form the start (turns out my DSL modem wanted to use 192.168.1.1, so I changed the Linksys to use 192.168.2.1 and all is well). But it was still acting flaky after that - until I downloaded and installed the latest firmware for the WRT54G. Still works. In fact, because of Katrina, the thing had been without power for over 2 months - when we temporarily relocated, and our DSL service was reconnected, the router worked like a charm with no additional hassles.

Go get the firmware - be sure you get the right one for your version of the router (look on the bottom sticker).

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

I use a Linksys WRT54G as do several of my customers. Contrary to what has been said, I think it's a great piece of equipment. I'm thinking this sounds like a firewall issue to me.

I use a Linksys WRT54G as do several of my customers, I haven't had any problems and recommend it. Sounds like the problem you're experiencing is possibly a firewall issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back