Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

links that go nowhere stop page downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayglo

Technical User
Apr 10, 2001
GB
Does anyone have Beatnik player installed AND a connection of 28.8 or 56k? No faster. I have some rmf bird songs and if the play/stop button is clicked before the page has downloaded then everything stops downloading and you have to refresh the page to get the sound. I dont particularly want to have to put a message on the page &quot;wait 'till its downloaded&quot;. Apparently can be a problem with any link that &quot;doesnt go anywhere&quot; especially with netscape. I do have the code to correct this,(<A HREF=&quot;javascript://&quot; ONCLICK=&quot; etc rather than <A HREF=&quot;#&quot; etc) except the required code is already in the script. Please check out to see what I mean then just click on the bird picture. Once you get to the first bird with sound (marked with asterisk) go straight to the sound (left hand side under &quot;voice&quot;) and click on it before page completely downloads. Any ideas on how I can stop this from happening.
p.s. if you havent beatnik you wont get sound anyway and a fast connection doesnt present the problem.

Don't know if it will cure the problem, but the usual &quot;do nothing&quot; link is href=&quot;javascript:void(0)&quot;. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

Thanks Tracy, but no the usual void code does not work, this is why beatnik came up with the other code. Unfortunately I am getting no response from beatnik. What happens is because the &quot;no link&quot; has to be attached to the <a href, when it is clicked on the browser sees no point in downloading any further as it assumes you are actually going to a different page. I need somehow to fool the browser into thinking either I have gone to a different page, or that I havent clicked the link!! And for my purposes a mouse over wont work. Thanks anyway. It might be that I have linked the page to an external .js, I will have to put the code intot he page and see if it works, even thou beatnik says link to.

Okay, I have now changed the way I put sound on the page, so soon you wont be able to see the example on my site. But if anyone knows the answer please let me know. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back