Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking with and without frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

castout

Programmer
Jan 22, 2002
US
My homepage uses frames, header and main. There are links on main that I want to appear in the same window with no frames (in the hyperlink properties, I choose "Whole Page"). From that page, I want a link back to home, but I can't get it to display my homepage with the frames.

Frames are very confusing to do links to. Each page has the page containing the content, the frame (or frames, depending on how many use), and the overall page that includes the frames and the content page. You'll need to link to either the content page or the overall page--and that depends on where your link is located (if the link is in the frame, it's different than if it's on the contents page).

Linda Adams

Thanks! That helped, but also left me with more questions. Let me see if I can explain my situation...
My index.htm contains a header.htm and main.htm (each in a frame). The header.htm has links to other *.htm pages that display in place of main.htm, header.htm stays fixed. On main.htm and the other *.htm pages there are images. When the image is clicked, I want to display a larger version of that image in the whole window along with a link to go back. This works fine when the image is on main.htm, they click the image to enlarge, hit the link back and all is fine. But when the image is on one of the other *.htm pages, I can only get the link to go back to *.htm without the header.htm OR I can get it to go back to main.htm with the header.htm. I want it to go back to *.htm WITH the header.htm.
Basically, I want my header.htm to appear at the top of all pages except the enlargement of the images.
I hope this makes sense! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back