Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking VisualFoxPro Tables to Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geraldo

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
PT
I need some help to link Visual FoxPro Tables to Access, can anyone tell me how.

Geraldo

Access 97 (I think it is the same in 2000 and 95)

Go to File, get external data, link Tables

change the file type dropdown to 'Microsoft Foxpro.dbf' then choose your file (you will also be prompted for the index file but dont have to supply it)

You should then see a new table with a fox icon and an arrow (indicating that it is linked)

You can then use this as though it was an Access table.

If Foxpro does not appear on the dropdown list then you may need to reinstall Access and change the data access options

Hope this helps

Andy

I try that a the above message appears
"Cannot Access the FOXPro 3.0 bound DBF file c:\TEMP\B2002.dbf", can i link tables from Visual FoxPro trough ODBC.

Yes, presuming you have a suitable driver

set up a dsn and link that in in exactly the same way by selecting ODBC datasources from the drop-down list

Andy

how can i setup a dsn link, give some help on this

Go to Control Panel, select Data sources (or possible called 32 bit odbc data sources) something like that

select add and follow the steps, call it wherever you want e.g. MYFOXPRODB

then in Access using the method described above find the Data source name (DSN) you defined above and link it in

This following link is for SQL server but the foxpro screen will be very similar

Andy

PS Foxpro databases are compatible with dbase and so you could try using a dbase driver either directly from Access or via ODBC

I can´t make it work,whem i try ODBC it´s said´s that i dont have the driver to Visual FoxPro.

If i try wth dbse 5.0, when i try to import in access2000
the follow message appears "you cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link a external microsoft Jet or Isam database table to your database".

I don´t know what to do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back