Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking two IPoffice's together

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnlcom

Technical User
Nov 25, 2007
GB
Hi guys,

have a simple job to complete!

Need to connect an IP office 406v2 and SOE with 3 x VCM circuits available between both sites over a LAN to LAN VPN broadband link using 4.1.19 software. The VPN is up and working correctly am pretty sure about that. I can talk to both phone systems using system status and ping but can't get extn calls to work between the systems but if connected to one system I can pull the config for the other so clearly the routes are almost connected correctly.

I have the 1st site (Maidstone) configured as follows:

ADSL router gateway address 192.168.11.1

IP Route
IP Office SOE 192.168.11.250
subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.11.1
Desitination LAN 1

IP Route
IP Route 192.168.11.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Destination LAN1

Line Config
Line number 14
Incomming Gp 15
outgoing group 15
Number channels 3 (onboard)
Gateway 192.168.11.1
Compression G711 Alaw
H450 supported
Allow Direct media Path

Short codes (system)
Code 2n (Extn number range 200)
Feature Dial
Phone number .
Line group 9

The second site (Corby) is configured as follows

ADSL router gateway address 192.168.10.1

IP Route
IP Office SOE 192.168.10.200
subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.10.1
Destination LAN 1

IP Route
IP Route 192.168.10.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Destination LAN1

Line Config
Line number 9
Incomming Gp 20
outgoing group 20
Number channels 3 (4 onboard)
Gateway 192.168.10.1
Compression G711 Alaw
H450 supported
Allow Direct media Path

Short codes (system)
Code 7n (Extn number range 700)
Feature Dial
Phone number .
Line group 9

O.k. so all I get is busy if dialling an extn number in hte 200 range that is live or the 700 range. Now this may just be a case of me not having the thing setup correctly so would appreciate it if you could confirm the settings for me and tell me if i ahve missed something or got something back to front etc. Now also when I say I can ping both ways with System Status i would have to say the confis above may not be the ones i used when I tested this!

do you have voice networking checked on each line? thaqt enables the SCN connection. What type of VPN hardware are you using?

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

got Voice networking enabled under the VoIP tab yes.

A draytek 2800 at Corby and a Sonicwall plus Draytek at the other. These are legacy networking items and the config is setup by the It contractor who gave me this job so I am reasonably confident we have it somewhere near right unless we have a port closed?

You have your IP routes the wrong way round

ADSL router gateway address 192.168.10.1

IP Route
IP Office SOE 192.168.10.200
subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.10.1 wrong!!
Destination LAN 1

IP Route
IP Route 192.168.10.1 wrong!!
Subnet 255.255.255.0 wrong!!
Gateway 0.0.0.0 wrong!!
Destination LAN1

I would do
IP route
192.168.11.0 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.10.1

and change your line gateway to 192.168.11.250
You'll need make appropriate changes at the remote end

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

o.k. that makes sense!

I will try it and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for that.

not being funny, but should you be installing this?

btw, get it off 4.1 and onto 4.2 for the love of avaya.

Hairlessupportmonkey, Thanks for that! Try not to give poiintless critiscm you don't know who i am or what reason I am asking for help or what my skill sets are but i can assure you I will remember you now and let's just hope you don't need my help next time your trying to setup something you have forgotten how to do!

By the way upgrading is of no use unless it is for a reason and in this case I know 4.1.19 works fine for this customer at present as he has no use for Phone manager or other applications as it is more like a simple PBX installation over two sites one of which is a warehouse.

tnlcom, you have a big additude !
This is basic stuff for an certified ipo technician.

Using 4.0 or 4.1 is not very smart if there is a 4.2 already
4.2 has bugfixes for the complete 4.x versions.

Adn i think that HSM does not need your help because he knows this kind of stuff.

You came here for help and what you do is bite the hand that feeds you !!!

Not very nice

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

ROFL, it's stating to get funny here.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

> I know 4.1.19 works fine for this customer???

You not getting it together tnlcom, 4.1.19 is NOT a version of the IPOffice, it's the version of the PhoneManager.

Better get on a course first tnlcom, the 4.1 was a very buggy version, so better first start upgrading to 4.2.X otherwise you'll be trouble shooting bugs all over.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

I tend to be a bit generous at this time of year...

tnlcom, I am not trying to be offensive (if I were, you would know it ;-)) but your config as posted above has a number serious and basic errors. I think that some level of IP office training really would be of benefit to you. It is, of course, possible that you are quite capable of working with the IPO as telephone system, but lack the basic data and networking knowledge to exploit the full potential of the system - so training in that area may be more beneficial. I don't know and probably won't ever either! However it is very clear that you need some training - either mentored from someone who does know, formal classroom training or any other source that sets you up correctly.

All of that being said - we all started somewhere and I certainly recognise the pressures of being "thrown into the deep end" For that reason, I am perfectly willing to continue to offer you the help that you need for this project. But please
1) upgrade your systems to a decent 4.2 build - you will save yourself some pain in the long run
2) with respect - treat the other people in this forum with the same level of respect that you expect them to give you. Many of the people here are highly experienced and employed in the industry - you never know when your paths will cross

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

hmmm....

the thing that is annoying is that this is current IP Office 101 installation stuff.

4.1 was really buggy and especially with the networking side of it and SCN.

the other aspect is have you compared basic SCN to Advanced SCN to see if there are features you will be needing like hotdesking across sites? i bet once you get this working the customer will start to ask for other things it can do.

the issue i have with your post, is the fact you will spend loads of time installing it, trying to get it working, get desperate, post in a technical forum for help, the customer gets pissed off it isnt working and a perfectly good IP Office gets a bad name.

Your right HSM, but also very wrong. This site is not a very complicated one is all. I am not panicking here either probably truth be known was just being lazy and should have opened my eyes to the kindergarden errors in the config but it was getting late and was just logged in remotely making changes and thought I might as well ask you guys.

I beleive basic SCN is enough in this case.

You are of course very right about time we all have that problem. I have not spent much time on this site and in fact this is all being done prior to going to site via remote access and I will complete the installation in the new year.

you are right however about customers getting hacked off with Avaya kit because it is poorly installed or supplied incorrectly and that is down to lack of training. But you won't fix that problem here in this forum.

Whilst kit is being sold by venerable dealers on Ebay to remain in business this problem won't go away. They are box shifting basically and will sell to anyone with a paypal account. Short sited to say the least.

We take it for granted that Avaya software has bugs. But why does it? All I have ever heard since I first sold and installed Alchemy kit, is "you need to upgrade to the next version because the version you are on is buggy!" That's from 2.1 Achemy upwards through to 4.2 IP Office inclusive now! ALL BUGGY!

When the system software does not work correctly the customer is the victim here. credibility as a dealer has gone straight away because we recommend this product and the customer focus's on us. After it is fixed sometimes we have still lost the contract.

Tha't not poorly trained engineers that caused the bad rep for Avaya but their poor software releases.

Don't get me wrong here either, it may not sound like Avaya and IP Office is a great favorite of mine but I have not found any other systems out there doing anything like as good a job of providing a feature rich product for this market and that includes Nortel:)

the exception to this However, is hosted services for voice and data; they are out there and do work very well and are selling in great numbers. They lack sofisticated features however but as good solid networked telephone systems they will overwrite the SME market place which is where the Avaya IP Office sits currently along with some others like Nortel BCM etc.

Fibre to the cabinet is rolled out in 2010 so we all best not rest on our laurels as all hosted products will come of age!

Once again thanks for all your help guys and happy new year!

well perhaps i was being pretty harsh. since i run a support desk mainly with IP Offices (throw in some Alcatel, NEC, Splicom, and to top it all off with a generous helping of IT, broadband and networking) with some pretty technically challenging installs (which i do myself as well) I always like to make sure the customer is a happy bunny. I get annoyed at our engineers when i get "fault" calls from customers when really its school boy errors with the install, or when we take over a contract from some dodgy cowboy installs and the customer wont pay for engineering time to get it reprogrammed and we end up polishing a turd all day long.

So, do it once, do it right, and post here once you have rung out all your IP Office brain cells of all their abilities.

tlpeter speaks about "certified ipo technician"...

How can I get that/this certificate(s)? Are they expensive? Can they be given (the tests) from Romania?

Help me to help you! Helping each other makes us stronger, smarter!

Paul, go to Get registered and ask your boss (if Avaya partner) for a link id.

Do some searching and you will find it all.
Somewhere in the begin of next year they are going to ditch the comptia exam so do not take that one (it is external)

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back